Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" BPH design.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" BPH design.
    Posted: 06 March 2018 at 9:27pm
I'm gonna post here some HR pics of Response of this 12" BPH i'm modeling. I have some questions OFC as this is my first BPH

This is response with 18Sound 12ND730

This is response of B&C 12NDL76

First, tuning of band pass resonating part is quite high, around 150 Hz. That i don't know if worth.
The woofer is ment to go up to 300-350 Hz, being a part of 3-way midtop system.
I'm trying to model the horn that is more towars horn and less resonating, so i get a tighter sound, less springness & good eff. Getting a look to common BPH like ES18 and HD15 i noticed the very non linar response, that highlines the gap between the horn radiating and the resonating band. Otherwise l this non-linearity shown by HR response i never ever experienced in BPH like ES18 and USB, which i measured several time and i listen more than often. So What to do? Is it still good? Is the HR power response reliable? Should i lower tuning? Is NDL more suitable than ND730 in this case? Hother ways to design & model BPH if not HR?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 10:12pm
I hope you realize that 12ND730 is discontinued.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I hope you realize that 12ND730 is discontinued.
No i didn't relized yet. I stopped buying from 18Sound last years cuz prices just have skyrocketed in 2017. ND730 doesn't appear in my 2017 pricelist, and i'm still waiting for the 2018 one, but i don't se any label saying its discontinued, pretty sad as was the one performed better.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 10:59pm
Prices have not changed much in the last 5-6 years. Must be your dealer doing that.
Try 12ND930

Edited by MarjanM - 06 March 2018 at 10:59pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 11:37pm
I'll try, any other advice or helpfull opinions?
About 18Sound, in my experience all prices have rised up a lot. There were more than one reseller here in Italy.. I had chance to get one 9601 for less than 400 €, get a look now.. Could be i am all wrong but i've been buying from different sources, and all are now more expensive. On the other hand B&C just keeps staying with same prices to me, lower than 18Sound.
EDIT:
ND930 pretty much the same as NDL76 as i expected. The point of my questions is about BPHs, and how far is the simulation from reality, if anyone of you have any guidline in designing that, according to the consideration i wrote and the already modeled one i posted.

Edited by LeruSound - 06 March 2018 at 11:44pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 11:47pm
We use the 9601 since it was introduced. Actually we used 9600 and asked for some customization that later actually became 9601.
So since 2010 the price have been increased exactly 5 euros.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 11:51pm
Nice for you man! Ill get a look around. No have direct contacts with 18Sound, so fi sure there some shit happening in between. Now i would really appreciate if we can skip this and focus on the topic subject Smile

Edited by LeruSound - 06 March 2018 at 11:53pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 11:53pm
If you manage to precisely convert the HR data in to a cabinet, it is pretty much spot on.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 11:59pm

If you manage to precisely convert the HR data in to a cabinet, it is pretty much spot on.

Yep, i already designed the box, and liters in hornresp have already been adjusted to what i've been able to build on 3d model.
Just the mismatches i had measuring vs simulating (other BPHs) are stopping me from set design and start the building.
Even i dont get the point to choose one NDL76 rather than MB650 if simulation is not close to reality due to BPH hybrids behaviors.

Edited by LeruSound - 07 March 2018 at 12:00am
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 12:24am
One thing HR cannot tell you is when the response of a BPH goes from useable to honky-mess, largely since that is due to the layout of the cabinet whilst HR only simulates things as a straight, cylindrical design

From my experiences of dabbling with BPHs, you will struggle to get it non-honky above 200Hz
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 12:25am
Yeah well, software predictions can only do so much. It is not called R&D for nothing.
You build a box, measure, tweak/build another one, or seven, until you do it right.
If it was that easy everyone would be building boxes. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2018 at 12:27am

If it was that easy everyone would be building boxes. 

and how! If it was easy then nobody would be paying £££££ for Fk1 BPHs LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>