Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to parallel amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 10:56am
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:04am

What you have are installation amplifiers so the connections are the same as an XLR in terms of pins. You can always create your own pigtail to allow the amplifier to accept xlr connections. 

This is what I use....

This will offer what you need as it offers a Y Input to send a signal to another Distribution amplifier and 4 outputs. Bear in mind you will need two if you want to operate your system in stereo. It is an XLR only unit. 

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 13 March 2018 at 11:05am
Elliot Thompson
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:08am
But the xlr unit I linked can be used right if I cut some xlr cables?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:13am

It may work. Read the manual to be certain it is a distribution amplifier. 

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 11:22am
https://www.monacor.com/media/FLE/LSP102.pdf

Here is manual.

I cant really read out if it would work.

I ask because I already have one of this device at home.

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 12:52pm
Look at the input impedance of your amplifiers, the Ashly SRA amp in your first post is 20K balanced; if you are to parallel the inputs of 5 of these amplifiers then the total load impendence is 4K.

Now look at the output drive capabilities of whatever you are driving the amplifiers with i.e. a mixer, I would suspect that the output drive impedance capability is 600ohm balanced.

Driving a 4k load with a device that is designed to see an impedance load of 600ohm is not a problem.  You do NOT need a splitter!!

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 12:59pm
hey

yeah I was always under the impression that you could connect quite a few more amplifiers than 2 before you start to have problems with impedance and needing a splitter. Certainly we often split a desk output over two of our 3 way amp racks, so six amps in total, and never notice any ill effects. 

I'd say just wire up the cables to link one amp to the next in the back of the rack and you'll be fine. 

K
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Look at the input impedance of your amplifiers, the Ashly SRA amp in your first post is 20K balanced; if you are to parallel the inputs of 5 of these amplifiers then the total load impendence is 4K.

Now look at the output drive capabilities of whatever you are driving the amplifiers with i.e. a mixer, I would suspect that the output drive impedance capability is 600ohm balanced.

Driving a 4k load with a device that is designed to see an impedance load of 600ohm is not a problem.  You do NOT need a splitter!!

Can't remember where I first read it but the rule of thumb I recall is that as long as the combined input impedance is at least 10x the output impedance, you should be fine.

Also, real world kit likely has a lower output impedance than the old 600Ω nominal standard which IIRC originally derived from telegraph/telephone networks.

For example, even the cheap & cheerful Soundcraft EPM/EFX series of desks that are ubiquitous for small corpy work around here have an output impedance of 150Ω, so one of those could easily drive the 5 amps referenced in the OP.

HTH,
David.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Also, real world kit likely has a lower output impedance than the old 600Ω nominal standard which IIRC originally derived from telegraph/telephone networks.

For example, even the cheap & cheerful Soundcraft EPM/EFX series of desks that are ubiquitous for small corpy work around here have an output impedance of 150Ω, so one of those could easily drive the 5 amps referenced in the OP.

Exactly, the output impedance of modern equipment is going to be in the range of 50 to 150ohms, that's why I used the words "output drive capabilities", as this is the minimum load impedance the device is designed to work into....

.... Think in the terms of a power amp, it may have a load drive capability of say 2 or 4ohms, but its output impedance be several magnitudes lower.

Alan
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 2:17pm
I also think simple 2In/6out  Output LMS, would be a professional solution.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

But totaly overkill compared to a couple of meters of signal cable linking the pheonix connectors.

A LMS would cost £200 +, would require 1U rack space and then another 8 x xlr connectors.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

But totaly overkill compared to a couple of meters of signal cable linking the pheonix connectors.

A LMS would cost £200 +, would require 1U rack space and then another 8 x xlr connectors.

+1 KISS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>