Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to parallel amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 1:42am
Sniggers like Mutley Smile, politely. 

As Alan has correctly pointed out the capability of the average op amp is more than capable of driving several amp inputs, depending on the amp input impedance and of course the resistance in the mixer o/p after the final op amp. It may have a 0.3R output impedance (which is awesome),  but if loaded at such with a suitable PSU, it would burn up very, very quickly. This not the case. 

The output impedance of the mixer on average as stated Vs the input impedance of the amps is a NO BRAINER. You could of course calculate the drop in gain by adding several amps, which will of course be negligible and pointless. You could also look at the more serious change in frequency Vs gain, but will then need much, much more info, and STILL it will be feck all.

I'm older than Alan, and maybe I did not pay attention and learnt nothing in electronics, however resistance calculations we did at school in physics in 1972. ( honest guv)  I remember it well. I did this whilst setting fire to something. 

Anyway, what am I blabbin' on about. Just connect the buggers up fer Pete's sake. Many a time I've had 10 amps on the SAME input chain.  Works the same the world over. 

So for the OP... Just do it if you ARE serious about sound.  Smile 

Billy Dawg.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 10:34am
THAT'S WHAT I KEEP SAYING!!!!!!!!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

...I love the way sh!t escalates on this forum over something so so simple.

Parallel the Damn inputs of the amps, keep the cables short and tidy.

If you want any type of processing on said amps then yes, buy an LMS but if not don't over complicate such simple things.

Let´s see if this can get to (at least) 10 pages, c´mon...   LOL

And obviously power supply in the US is weaker than anywhere else in the world. +/-15V rails drop to 0 under the minimum stress.    Confused

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 1:14pm
Pardon my ignorance but in the context of opamps is there a concern regarding damping factor like when running speakers? Would you expect the bass to get flabby as you run more and more in parallel?
Don't test the champignon sound
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but in the context of opamps is there a concern regarding damping factor like when running speakers? Would you expect the bass to get flabby as you run more and more in parallel?

Nothing wrong with asking the question, that's how loads of us learn Smile

Anyhoo, short answer - no damping factor to worry about.

Reason: A large subwoofer cone has physical momentum when it's moving, and when the signal stops, that momentum will make it want to carry on moving, causing an "overhang" of sound after the signal from the amp stops. That is what damping factor from an amp is really trying to control.

With direct electronic connection, there is no physical moving component, hence no momentum to be damped.

Cheers,
David.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 1:40pm
As above....
A speaker is an electro-mechanical device i.e. it has moving parts.....

Damping factor is the ability of the driving amplifier to control (or dampen) unwanted mechanical movement in the speaker’s cone & motor due to their moving mass, this is not an issue here as we have no mechanical movement.

Edited by APW - 16 March 2018 at 1:42pm
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 5:11pm
Thanks, for answering my slightly off-topic question, that makes perfect sense.

In terms of the main subject here; what is the reason that we see earlier posters saying that Lab Gruppen recommend only using a daisy-chain of 4 amps? Is this to do with some other property of the circuit or just what they deem as being best practise? I'd assume that they're issuing advice based on some reasoning..?
Don't test the champignon sound
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 6:00pm
Hi
With the manual in my hands it literally states that " a typical source can drive up to 4 amplifier channels before external line drivers MIGHT BE required to buffer the signal".

I does not say that over 4 amps you NEED a line driver, but they don't know what you are feeding the amp with, so with some sources with high output impedance you could need it, but they assume up to four should not need it, and 5 is not such a different load I think.
They are just being very cautious as far as I can see
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

There is a big difference between low (line) level signal processing and driving speakers. Opamps work with voltage rails around +/-15V-18V and milliamps, power amplifiers with voltage rails from the 20´s to the 100´s and need to supply real amperage.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 6:40pm
Just daisy chain them passively.
It’ll be fine.

NEEEEEEXXXXXTTTTT!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Just daisy chain them passively.
It’ll be fine.

NEEEEEEXXXXXTTTTT!

I've been repeating that and we're up to 5 Damn pages now.....

Edited by mini-mad - 16 March 2018 at 7:26pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 8:30pm
Did someone say something?

Naah, must be the wind!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>