Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to parallel amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 10:12am
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Do i get this right?
Put amp in bridge mode and connect signal to input 1, then an opposite phase signal will be present at signal input 2, meaning you connect this to next amp, and connect the speaker output out of phase on second amp (plus to minus, minus to plus).
If so, thats a pretty neat way of daisy chaining as it dosent rely on all the load coming from the original source.
Correct me if i am wrong, but with an amp put into parallel output mode for extra low impedance usage (thinking ma5000vz), does this affect its negative feedback loop, and does this happen in bridge mode as well?

Not exactly.

What is being suggested is just to daisy chain all of the channel 1 inputs together.  In normal configuration this would just feed channel 1 amp output with that signal for each amp, and channel 2 would be silent. 

However when you switch it to bridge, the input from channel one is sent to channel 2 as well, but inverted. Normally to actually use it in bridge mode you'd connect the two positives together from channel 1 and 2, and therefore be getting the swing from +ve on channel 1 to the now -ve on channel 2 (because it's inverted). 

However if you just wire channel 1 output normally, and channel 2 output inverse, it is back to being a normal stereo amp again, except with the channel 1 input signal automatically being fed into both outputs. So you're still just daisy chaining the five channel ones together (rather than having to do a chain of 10 through all the channel 1s and 2s) but you get the signal on all the output channels. 

K

But then you've got to be really careful not to cross the streams (of electrons). Which would be bad, very bad.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 1:38pm
The flying speaker is patent pending and is my sole intellectual property. Carry on inferring it to be property of the community and I'll see you in court!
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Do i get this right?
Put amp in bridge mode and connect signal to input 1, then an opposite phase signal will be present at signal input 2, meaning you connect this to next amp, and connect the speaker output out of phase on second amp (plus to minus, minus to plus).
If so, thats a pretty neat way of daisy chaining as it dosent rely on all the load coming from the original source.
Correct me if i am wrong, but with an amp put into parallel output mode for extra low impedance usage (thinking ma5000vz), does this affect its negative feedback loop, and does this happen in bridge mode as well?

Not exactly.

What is being suggested is just to daisy chain all of the channel 1 inputs together.  In normal configuration this would just feed channel 1 amp output with that signal for each amp, and channel 2 would be silent. 

However when you switch it to bridge, the input from channel one is sent to channel 2 as well, but inverted. Normally to actually use it in bridge mode you'd connect the two positives together from channel 1 and 2, and therefore be getting the swing from +ve on channel 1 to the now -ve on channel 2 (because it's inverted). 

However if you just wire channel 1 output normally, and channel 2 output inverse, it is back to being a normal stereo amp again, except with the channel 1 input signal automatically being fed into both outputs. So you're still just daisy chaining the five channel ones together (rather than having to do a chain of 10 through all the channel 1s and 2s) but you get the signal on all the output channels. 

K

Yeah, hadhad a reread and confused myself there. I understand what Earplug is suggesting now. Cheers....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 12:34pm
Also, I remember reading somewhere (Dave Rat?) that the bridging trick makes better/more efficient use of the amp´s PSU. I´ve never tried it myself, but does make sense.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Also, I remember reading somewhere (Dave Rat?) that the bridging trick makes better/more efficient use of the amp´s PSU. I´ve never tried it myself, but does make sense.   Smile

That trick only works on amps with dual power supplies, if there is only 1 supply then there are no gains.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 4:42pm
BEHOLD!! the lone surviving splittertron, carried around in my get out of jail free box for the past 15years. It aint pretty but it worked, and still does. Many a linkup and system has been run through this badboy, including shows like the mighty Vengaboys, the Wombats & Chico Star

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 5:07pm
She is beautiful!!!

Black n yalla tape holds the world together!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 5:17pm
Yeah but that only 4 way bro. We need 5 way.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 5:28pm
i do commissions. Though this is proper tried & tested pro equipment, used extensively in industry, and proven many times over. Doesn't come cheap! And wouldn't meet the approval of many people on here.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 5:51pm
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLYou see, it's cheap skate solutions like that which have brought the world to the prephasis that we dangling over. I mean, how can the economy be kept strong if people don't go out and buy the most expensive solution they can't afford??
WinkLOLLOLLOL
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 6:49pm
give me enough hazard tape and a soldering iron and i could probably fix the NHS too

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 7:09pm
Nooooooooo you used hazard tape, It should have been gaffer tape... You bodge artist!!

Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>