FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LAB 12 Direct Radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LAB 12 Direct Radiator
    Posted: 04 April 2018 at 3:12am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

faital rs series is another great option for compact, low tuned reflex imo..
2x10 is louder at lower power than a single 12 and easier to power (4ohm vs. 8), 2x12 wont require much more volume though, just twice+ the power..

..wouldn't mind seeing a plan of that double 10 you speak of... please
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 12:42am
much appreciated - i'll look into those options..  
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 12:14am
faital rs series is another great option for compact, low tuned reflex imo..
2x10 is louder at lower power than a single 12 and easier to power (4ohm vs. 8), 2x12 wont require much more volume though, just twice+ the power..
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 12:02am
Heard a single lab in a basement club in Bristol quite a number of years ago now. Crazy bass. Don't let anyone tell you that single horn subs can't work; when you have the right boundaries indoors silliness from a single box is fully possible. Free field then sure you really want 4 min but indoors all bets are off.

I quite liked my Ciare 12.00SW reflex. That had a higher max SPL capabliity than the double lab reflex under discussion and it was tiny. Didn't go as low (still did 35Hz though) but we didn't have any Shackleton records to play back then.

If you want a compact 12" reflex then maybe look at another driver, it's amazing what you can get out of a small high power driver or two when given suitable power and used inside. A pair of double 12" subs with proper drivers and proper power can really work well in the right space. They ain't gonna smash up stadiums but they will probably serve your purpose.
Don't test the champignon sound
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 1:58pm
113dB peak SPL for a Lab12 in reflex, 119dB for a pair minus long term power compression losses just isn't enough headroom even for this application. Think about 'those' tracks and instruments where the bass just never seems as loud (low harmonic content, uncompressed waveforms), even when the system is running full out, and if you've got a room packed with 200 people and a band doing an energetic closing number, an extra 10dB of headroom will save the show while an extra 15Hz of LF extension that you can hardly hear anyway at low levels (Fletcher-Munson effect) won't.

It'll help that it's always playing indoors, but some small venues are going to have unfortunate room modes that leave large areas of the dancefloor 10db down.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 12:57pm
A Cubo 15 will have more than enough low end for a soul/ funk band.

Considering the drivers you have I would suggest a Cubo 15, SS15 or T48. If you're going down the 2 x 12" route I would consider Cubo 12 or the THAM 12, if going the 4 x 12" route I would consider reflex cabinets. Imho, if you're looking at two small to medium sized bass cabinets, you should aim at SPL from 40 Hz and up, if you're looking to address audiences up to 200.

As much as I like the idea of a Lab 12 reflex, I would much rather have 2 x Cubo 15, SS15 or T48 than 4 x Lab 12 reflex cabinets for PA. For HT I have one Lab 12 in a tapped horn and it awesome (horses for courses).

Johan
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 11:56am
Labs in reflex cabs will sound very nice for a soul/funk band, you do not need to be killing people with bass like a dnb or dub step gig, a couple of well tuned reflex labs might just add the bass you are looking for, they will be small and discrete so the attention is where it should be, on the band, indoors i think you may be pleasantly surprised, Cubo's will not get the lows you are looking for imho, for the price of half a sheet of mdf to build a test box give it a go. 
rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 11:22am
jon - they're for a soul / funk band.. vocals, guitar, 4-string bass, bari & tenor sax, drums, conga/percussion.

there's some stage volume, & it's always indoors.  i'd like to go with 2 subs, if possible.  mainly for the lack of room on stage.

i do have a pair of kappalite 3015lf, that i thought to put into cubos or ss15's.  there's also the bf titan 48 that uses that speaker, but it's twice the size of a a cubo15 - don't know it's twice the cabinet, so i've held off.  

curiosity (& a lack of knowledge) about the Eminence spec'd cab for it's lab12 led me down this rabbit hole.  i guess you can't beat the system... it just hasn't stopped us from trying.  planning the build is half the joy... thx again to all.

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 8:23am
Rbarone what sort of music genres and events dance / wedding /parties/ rave is it you need them for?

For 200 people 12inch subs seem too small to me unless you plan on having a few... in which case why not go up to 15s or 18s in a compact format?
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 8:14am
Originally posted by rbarone rbarone wrote:

Many Thanks to all - 

The Lab Sub wasn't high on my list because of it's size/weight - so, the original question of a Lab 12 in the Eminence-designed, small vented box. 

I've got a lot to learn.. 
Me too! My post about the Lab Sub was terrible LOL
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 4:24am
those dual lab reflex in a pair (so 4 drivers) would struggle I think to do 200 pax. You would have to drive them very hard. No headroom. The lab isn't actualy a great driver out of a lab horn I think. I have lab horns too. I would look at others. They don't sell any of them here and the labs are very cheap for me. 4x the reflex would fill a room ok. out side they are no good atall. They do sound very nice not woofy in my opinion. But it all comes down to amps. to get them going you need at least 1200w into 4r. 1600w is ideal. but danger. labs don't distort. much.
rbarone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbarone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2018 at 9:00pm
Many Thanks to all - 

The Lab Sub wasn't high on my list because of it's size/weight - so, the original question of a Lab 12 in the Eminence-designed, small vented box. 

I've got a lot to learn..  

Cheers! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>