Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raspberry Pi Hifi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raspberry Pi Hifi
    Posted: 12 April 2018 at 5:54pm
I am going to buy yet ANOTHER Raspberry Pi..... but the new faster Pi 3B+ model and looking at the Hifi berry amp module for it as an all in 1 retro gaming, tv streaming music playing little machine.
The amp in question is a little Class D unit giving out up to 60w which plugs straight into the pins in the Pi board.

Any suggestions for speakers? I don't fancy buying some el cheapo off the shelf bookshelf fart cans.

Edit: wrong wattage

Edited by cookie-dj - 12 April 2018 at 5:59pm
You can't polish a turd!
mwalter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwalter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:50pm
are you wanting to build? and if so, what's your budget?
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 7:21pm
You could build 4 little full range boxes with Faital 3 or 4 inch drivers. Cheap and hifi. Might get a bit of 80Hz if you port them, EQ up 65Hz indoors. Optional add an active sub for home theatre where a bit of rumble is required and hope the hifi quality of the Faitals won't show up the low quality of the sub too much (I say low quality, assuming you're on a budget as you mentioned bookshelf fart speakers). 10-15w each is about right for these.  

Advantage of four little ones instead of a stereo pair is you could string them up on the ceiling as background music/ambience over multiple rooms, plus the pseudo-surround 4.1 setup I mentioned.

If you wanted it to go mobile you could make a little carry case that held them together in something like a Boominator Micro arrangement, with the electronics and handle etc in the case (in the centre or in the base) and the speakers resting in or clipping/strapping on to that, for 360 sound with the option to break into a multi-way.

Edited by Hemisphere - 16 April 2018 at 7:24pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 10:34pm
I don't have a budget as such, just after something that's going to sound decent. Not scared to go down the floorstanding route either.

Did I see someone make a pair of TPQWR boxes with a single coaxial driver?
You can't polish a turd!
 Post Reply Post Reply