Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DMX controller help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMX controller help
    Posted: 18 April 2018 at 11:55pm
{From the off I'm rather clueless with lights specially the posh moving head things}

A client has bought some new lights

From what I believe I need some sort of DMX controller to make the do stuff like change colour and move. 

Would something like this work?

or is it worth spending more to get a better unit?

cheers
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:10am
I would recommend a computer based DMX program such as Chauvet Showxpress or the American DJ myDMX. The controller you posted a link to would not have enough channels o control the pars and the heads.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 9:29am
hey

It's hard to tell exactly what's needed without knowing how many there are, what you want to do with them, how much control you want to have etc. Bu yeah as said, the controller listed would almost certainly be too small to do anything useful. You'd be looking at something like these as a minimum for a mixed set of parcans and movers.....

But even then, these DJ style lighting controllers don't give you millions of control, and ts harder to set different scenes and lighting looks for different songs etc. 

as Reproduction says you're much better with a software solution, my preference is Chamsys MagicQ. 

It looks super scary when you first download it and look at it, but I've typed a simple tutorial on here before if you search for it, and once you've got your head around the layout it's actually super easy to use even for a non lighting guy like me. 

The software is free to play with, and you can buy a dongle for something like £60 to let you output the DMX to the actual lights. If you really get into it you can buy a PC wing that gives you actual faders and buttons to press, and it's the same software on all their proper desks too, so learning it on the PC translates over very well. 

K

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 30 April 2018 at 10:20am
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 6:16pm
thanks for the reply’s, I was kind of hoping you wouldn’t say that haha.

Only going to run 2 moving head and 2 par can led jobs. 

I’ll look into the magicQ but really don’t want tot take a laptop to gigs.

Looked into app for the phone but I’m still lost, this might work

RTS DMX Control by TNF Concept 

jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 6:23pm
personally considering the used price of Avolites Azure 2004’s I would be buying one of those :)
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 7:42pm
looks good but massive, trying to keep everything as compact as possible. 

This setup is for a singer needs pa and light to all fit in his car 
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 7:49pm
The trick to this is that a "unverse" of DMX consists of 512 control "channels." Each lighting fixture requires a number of DMX "channels" and can be programmed so it knows which of the 512 channels to respond to by setting a start address. So the Kanjo needs 8 or 10 channels and if you set the start address to 1 it will respond to channels 1 to 10 of the 512. If you set it to 2, it will respond to channels 2 to 11. It isn't rocket science. Each channel tells it how to behave in respect of particular factors. So one channel for how bright it is, another for what colour, another for tilt, another for pan.  Each channel has a range of 0 to 255 so, for example, if you set the dimmer channel to 0 it will be off and if you set it to 255 it will be at full. If you set the colour channel to between (say) 0 and 20, it will be at red while if you  set it between 21 and 40, it will be blue and so on. If you have 2 of the Kanjo units and set them both to the same address, they will both respond in exactly the same way. If that is OK then you need 10 channels for both fixtures, if you want to be able to control them separately (and you will want to sooner or later) you need 20 channels. The flat par cans use up to 6 channels so you need 26 or 32 channels.

Thing is that, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure out that it all gets unworkable very quickly. If you had desk with 32 faders it would take you ages to set them all to the things you want them to. So, all but the most basic of controllers are programmable. You set all the channels for a particular group of lights the way you want them then save it to memory. With Chamsys, that is called a "cue." Different controllers can control different numbers of DMX channels and have different numbers of memory slots. As they get more advanced, you can link the different cues together in various ways.

The reality is a lot easier than the explanation. As a good starting point I would download Chamsys MagicQ so you can play with it and explore some of the many tutorials. You might not keep it but it is similar to a lot of other systems so it will give you a chance to figure out how everything works. Most people will have things working in a matter of an hour or two. Then you can decide what you want to do from there.

Unfortunately, the controller you were looking at will only control 6 channels and isn't programmable so it is out of the window. There are any number of very similar units that control up to 12 fixtures with up to 16 channels each so 192 channels total that will cost around £100. Example from Thomann here.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/elation_dmx_operator_i.htm
If you get into it, you will run into boundaries very quickly but you won't lose too much money from selling it on.

There is a web site called On Stage Lighting that has a load of info, including for newbies, http://www.onstagelighting.co.uk/stage-lighting-guides-help/

Hope that helps!
Andy

Down with signatures!
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 8:24pm
Massive help thanks Andy.

Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 8:52pm
Thanks and you are welcome.

I am probably being patronising but I forgot to mention that, with one of those simple desks that will handle 12 fixtures, it really means that it will handle 12 groups of fixtures as any number of fixtures with the same start address will follow the same instructions.

I am watching rugby and, at half time, I had a flick through the simple controllers on Thomann and their own 192 channel controller looks like it would be worth thinking about as it has a joy stick, which is good for controlling movers. A bit more expensive but won't break the bank.

Good luck.

E2A, there is a MarkII version of the Stairville desk that uses encoders rather than a joy stick and, if that is the way you go, that version will be easier for the layman - or most people come to that.

Edited by Jasonstry - 20 April 2018 at 9:12pm
Down with signatures!
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 9:17pm
How much control are they actually looking for? The movers have a sound to light mode, so if it's just the two pars doing face light the little 6 ch desk could be just the ticket, or even simpler they come with an IR remote they could just use that
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 9:45pm
Yeah, I assumed the pars were for face lighting so looking at a band or similar situation. Internal s2s tends to be based on the assumption that the fixtures or hung over a dance floor and, in a stage situation, they spend a lot of time pointing at nothing useful. No harm in checking how they work though.
Down with signatures!
Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 10:01am
I prefer a real desk but I'm old fashioned
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>