Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dead drivers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ellwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dead drivers?
    Posted: 12 June 2018 at 5:26pm
Would anyone know if a 15 studio colossus can be reconed to a 15xb spec? Basket is the same, magnet is the same, same pole diameter etc.. Just wondering if I can stick an Xb cone/voice coil in it ? Thanks in advance..
John Ellwood Taylor
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 5:58pm
So we opened up the cabs and the drivers were destroyed (surprise surprise). Both coils had gone and tears in the cone. However one basket had a crack in it, surely that couldn't have been done at the same time as the speakers being blown?
We are going to be running both subs stacked together in the centre of the room tonight rather than the L-R stacks we had last time so it should be easier on the drivers, we obviously also aren't going to be ragging them as hard.
I will update with pics shortly
Sirius Sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:34pm
With ample amplifier headroom there is no need to clip anything. Decent RMS limiting at the source and clip limiting on the LMS should make it safe to leave unattended. The dynamics of the source obviously makes a huge difference. I'm talking about DJs. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Originally posted by Sirius Sounds Sirius Sounds wrote:

I go by the JBL advice of more amplifier headroom resultingrin a cleaner signal and less problems:
In this case more power would just result in burnt drivers faster.

All this depends on the dynamics of the source and whether the drivers are given time to 'relax' and recover. Highly compressed muzak, played near to clip levels, in a cab without decent ventilation is recipe for desaster. Like taking too little equipment for the venue and then having to run at the limits.

Then the speakers slowly going quieter and quieter is a red light - obvious overheating and/or power compression going on.   Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 12:28am

I go by the JBL advice of more amplifier headroom resultingrin a cleaner signal and less problems:
In this case more power would just result in burnt drivers faster.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 10:33pm
if you run drivers to were your lms is limiting all night, then your setting up the system wrongly... and it would be very easy to cook drivers.
two quickest ways to blow drivers, underpowering them, Basically too a small amp, so amp is in clip on riding clip all night.

2nd is too much power,

I would allways advise an amp to have 1/3 more output than the driver specced, and use gains on lms to get power needed.

why not turn down your output gain on lms, to the point you need, then set limiter 2 db higher. keeping drivers within there safe limit.

When I engineer my rig I don't use any type of limiters, some times ill take an av2 if I no the dj's are gonna redline. and run this between dj mixer and my live mixing desk.

I never leave the desk or venue, and if I do walk away from desk, ill have a crew member to take over.

Edited by bee - 25 April 2018 at 10:35pm
https://www.elements-audio.com
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 6:48pm

But nowhere on that page does it say "turn it all the way up all of the time" or anything remotely like that.

What is does say is

What is "Signal Burn"? Signal burn is a failure mode where the voice coil is burnt across its entire width, indicating uniform voice coil travel with respect to the stationary magnet structure. Such a burn pattern is not indicative of amplifier malfunction but instead is due to excessive signal or program level. The cause is simply trying to get more from the speaker than it is capable of delivering

Edited by BJtheDJ - 25 April 2018 at 6:48pm
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 6:11pm
The drivers out the box and test them on the meter and then connected to another amp if ok.
Sirius Sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 4:45pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Just to be clear when I said 1300w of house music should be fine with a 1500w AES driver, I meant 1300w as the OP indicated (1300w of amp power with clip limiters).

It would be fine if the system was run where the limiters were only being tickled, but slam it into constant limiting as was surely the case and there is more than enough power available to cook drivers.

Something that has not been mentioned is exactly what was being used as the limiter, was it an analog comp/limiter or was it a digital device. Big difference between these, the analog device will continue to compress the signal as it is pushed harder so these really aren't suitable as a system limiter, while the digital device doesn't do this. Either way much better limiting is required for unsupervised rigs like this.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Just to be clear when I said 1300w of house music should be fine with a 1500w AES driver, I meant 1300w as the OP indicated (1300w of amp power with clip limiters).

And here lies the issue. What’s the voltage limit of the driver and cabinet combination? If it can’t use the extra voltage then it’s heating time.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2018 at 8:42am
Amps driven hard into the limiters ( limiters continuously on) in sealed chambers my guess would be around 250 - 300 Watts per driver is all it would take to cook them.

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 25 April 2018 at 8:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>