Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJ & Sound System volume levellers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Well, shitty DJs will however continue to redline and clip their mixers regardless of the device after the mixer, and will spoil the sound before it reach your device and will blame the "shitty" sound system. :-)
I dont think there is a win situation when DJs and todays club crowd is in question. Its a lost battle when mp3 got invented.

On the mixer front I've modified quite a few of my DJM mixers to reduce the input gain by 6db.  Easy mod, just cut a couple of PCB tracks and solder on some resistors.  Parts cost is nothing (about 20p per mixer), it's just an hour's work.  Then they can't clip it, and I get much less enraged LOL

However, not found a solution to crap MP3s yet though.  High bitrate ones are bearable, but the lower bitrate MP3s ripped off the internet are awful Ouch

Maybe we could get a CDJ firmware update written that won't play MP3s Big smile
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:18pm
there is a company in krefeld, germany building fancy analog devices, one doing pretty much what you are describing. will try to find it this evening
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:21pm
What? No solution for crappy mp3s? That device is doomed from the start.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by RC1 Sound System RC1 Sound System wrote:

For a long time we've been frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a product out there that can transparently level out the sound during events... ...I would be really interested to know if anyone out there knows of any other products designed to do this - maybe I've just not come across them yet?
Yamaha mgp desks have a levelling function that claims to fulfil this requirement, whether it's any good, I have yet to try.  Appears to be some sort of threshold limiter, so only cuts, not boosts. 
TheAmazingGanjaMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheAmazingGanjaMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:35pm
now a firmware update which wont allow low bit rate mp3s to play is something i can fully get behind.

dont think ive ever been blamed for something the dj did, have been asked why the dj sounds so bad b4 tho 

but when the system sounds great for 1 track then terrible for the next, i would hope most ppl wouldnt blame the system/ engineer 

i think this problem could be helped by having better communication with promoters, any problems with the djs is passed on to the promoter and they dont get more bookings, with being involved with different promoters i find good promoters will do research on djs and only book the good 1s

same goes in the speaker world, who buys a speaker they have never heard b4, u have to research these things

things like this are a big problem these days and its hard to come up with a good solution instead of the easiest, which then causes more problems down the line 

also sorry for being so negative, u are doing a good thing trying to help this problem 
Burn Baby Burn Voice Coil Inferno
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 2:46pm
Sounds like a great idea, especially if you can make it available for a relatively cheap price. Most of the other devices mentioned so far are £500+, and that is a lot for us boys who still use £200 digital crossovers.
I imagine it's something like an AGC circuit with slow time constants and some filtering on the detection sidechain? IE responds to the spectral balance as well as the overall level, turns it down a bit if those high-mids start getting too loud, where the ear is most sensitive? 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
RC1 Sound System View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Sounds like a great idea, especially if you can make it available for a relatively cheap price. Most of the other devices mentioned so far are £500+, and that is a lot for us boys who still use £200 digital crossovers.
I imagine it's something like an AGC circuit with slow time constants and some filtering on the detection sidechain? IE responds to the spectral balance as well as the overall level, turns it down a bit if those high-mids start getting too loud, where the ear is most sensitive? 

It is by definition, as you say, an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuit, with very slow time constants most of the time (except when it has to respond quickly).  However, the sidechain/control side is rather complicated because it is not working as a limiter or average leveller, it is trying to maintain an average perceived loudness irrespective of the frequency content, crest factor and duty cycle of the music.  I'm certainly not aware of any other product designed to do that, other than of course a living and breathing engineer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Racks&Stacks Racks&Stacks wrote:

there is a company in krefeld, germany building fancy analog devices, one doing pretty much what you are describing. will try to find it this evening

Thanks, that's very kind.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

For a long time we've been frustrated that there doesn't seem to be a product out there that can transparently level out the sound during events... ...I would be really interested to know if anyone out there knows of any other products designed to do this - maybe I've just not come across them yet?
Yamaha mgp desks have a levelling function that claims to fulfil this requirement, whether it's any good, I have yet to try.  Appears to be some sort of threshold limiter, so only cuts, not boosts. 

Thanks for the info, I suspect it's probably similar to other leveller products, so won't quite do what ours does, but I'll check it out Smile
Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:20pm
Pioneer should make a simple control over IP application to allow the FOH engineer to turn the output of the DJ mixer down while simultaneously turning the DJ channels on up the desk, that way there is no awkward none sense with the dj and the stage tech, no dips in level, no one will ever know! and everything will sound nice......maybe

Edited by Danny A - 26 April 2018 at 4:22pm
Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:24pm

Maybe we could get a CDJ firmware update written that won't play MP3s Big smile

now that is a great idea, at least on the top end models
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 4:36pm
Isn't that exactly what the AVC2 does?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>