Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running bass at 2ohms or 4??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running bass at 2ohms or 4??
    Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:32pm
Hi, Can anyone tell me if running bass at 2 ohms sounds better or worse than 4 ohms, if at all.

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:11pm
neither.

its a sum of the impedance & of what drivers are being presented to an amplifier, in the given wiring style.

some amps will manage 2ohm bass without blowing up, other amps cannot drive 2ohm loads whatsoever. Some amps wont have a high enough damping factor for controlled bass at 2ohm, others do. Some might not have enough power at 2ohm, whereas less drivers at 4ohm maybe fine.

in summary, depends on which speakers on which amp. Read about it, understand it, then it will be clear & obvious.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:10pm

You have a higher percentage of distortion operating an amplifier at 2 ohms per channel than 4 ohms per channel due to operating the amplifier at its limits. If the amplifier sounds better to you at 2 ohms per channel than 4 ohms per channel, it means you like the added distortion in your mix. There is really nothing wrong with that as it is a matter of taste.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:36pm
What is the situation that makes you ask the question?

You don't need to chose one impedance over another to get a better quality sound if that's what youre asking.

Different impedances offer different opportunities to people building systems but its more about making the most of the power available from the amp than sound quality.
T-Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:32am
ok so I’m having 8 twin 21 cabs made and don’t know weather to get 4 ohm drivers or 8 ohm drivers. If I get the 4 ohms the cabs will run in parralle at 2 ohms. The amp I have will run them at 2 ohms but I’ve heard mixed things about running bass at 2. Need to make my mind up quickly 
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:42am
Please get 8 ohm drivers

4 ohm is a pain in the ass long run
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:06am
Originally posted by spongebob spongebob wrote:

Please get 8 ohm drivers

4 ohm is a pain in the ass long run

+1
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:20am
What are the amplifiers though?  Some manufacturers CLAIM 2 ohm but...
It's everything, not everythink!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:42am
What's the main issue with running 4ohm drivers in the long run? Difficulties in hanging 4 off one channel of a huge amp?
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
T-Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:25am
got a linear research mm4 20k that will run 5k at 2ohm, or can use crown macro tech 5k at 4 ohm. The bins are 4K. Only issue with having 4 macro techs is the size and weight compared to a 2 u 20k. 
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

What's the main issue with running 4ohm drivers in the long run? Difficulties in hanging 4 off one channel of a huge amp?

That's about it, man up run 4ohm drivers and some 1ohm stable 10001s, proper bass and a bad back Smile
MPASOUND View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:40am
I've always thought our FFA 10K's seemed to like a 2 ohm load best! They certainly drive 2 ohm sub without breaking a sweat and don't seem to sound any different than with 4 ohm loads. 
 I also have Linea 44M20's and love them. They are a great sounding amplifier but I wouldn't say they were best suited to driving 2 ohm sub and we always try to keep them on 4 ohm loads. 
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>