Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running bass at 2ohms or 4??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:12am
What sort of mains power you're running off and the type of power supply in the amp should also be a consideration when running sub. Most amps will have a shorter life span and give poorer quality sound at 2r.
Because I run off 13a supplies all the time I stick to running my amps sub channels at 8r usually, spread over a few wall outlets but usually on the same ring. I do often bridge smaller amps (matrix ukp2100x) into single high power 8r drivers though and I've not had any low voltage issues. Also you'll notice that switchmode amps (of which pretty much all mine are now) give a longer/ better burst power rating at 8r than at 4r or 2r. On 13a outlets I find that switchmode amps will give more music power than a toroidal amp of the same rating once the output of the amp is above around 2.5kw @8r bridge

Edited by charlysays - 16 May 2018 at 11:17am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 3:32pm
Is there ever an answer in audio that doesnt start  "it depends"? LOL

Original poster if you followed all that then great, if not safe bet is 2 x 8 ohm drivers to give you 4 ohm cabinets. 

As long as you have the amp power available at 4 ohm its less stress on your amps.  

veuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

It depends.
T-Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:46pm
Thanks for all your comments and advise, ive gone with the 8 ohms. just have to buy more amps.
Cheers
T-Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:50pm
Il be running 16a and 13a plugs off of distro box. Powerd bye a 50 kva generator.
Thanks
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:00pm
hang on, you're getting 8x dual 21" subs built, yet you have to ask basic system tech questions? I don't mean to be disrespectful, just a large investment, large logistical effort, hope you have the following to fill the size venues you'd need for that - and midtop/tech to match. Can be done, electrikal/valve to name two DIY systems who went large, and succeeded.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
T-Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:26pm
Thats not big for outdoors, no experience running 2 ohms hence the question.
Thanks
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by veuch veuch wrote:

Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

It depends.

I deserved that.  
Shelfstacker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelfstacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:37am
I’m glad to hear you’re going for 8 ohm drivers - good choice. 

For me, 8 cabs would be an awkward number of boxes to manage. I would personally choose to run 3 a side, and wire the bass boxes pin 1 +/- to one driver in the cab, and pin 2 +/- to the other.  Then link through the three cabs a side to give you a 2.6 ohm load on 2 big amp channels per stack, each bass stack tidily run off 1 x 4 core, 4mm cable (plus links), with your amp rack right behind the stack, on about 3 metres of fat string. 

I’m not 100% sure why this site seems to obsess about bass, when the Juju that pulls everything together is what happens in your top boxes?  Yes, sub is nice, sub is crucial - but not at the expense of your top end?  It’s nice having your trousers flapped around, but for me what makes a really outstanding sound system is the top end making the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. 

What are you planning for your mid/high section of your rig?

Edited by Shelfstacker - 17 May 2018 at 6:40am
If you are at the circus and being attacked by clowns - go for the juggler
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:00am
Bass is one part of the system where quantity can, to a certain extent, make up for a lack of quality, and you need to understand a lot less in order to get going. It's not as simple as people think but it's still simpler than midtops - less detail in the music down there, greater margin for error.

Having a bunch of bass bins knocked up on the cheap and don't really know what you're doing? No problem - Stack up loads of it people will have a good time so long as your midtops are quality. As you suggest, it doesn't really work the other way round.

Some people talk about midtops less because they don't even know enough to know what they don't know about midtops, they're written off as a consideration on the grounds "I'll build my bass then I will buy some really good midtops and they will be good. I won't know exactly why they're good, and I hope I'll get away with not knowing why". Same reason some might attempt a build of a custom desktop PC but wouldn't dream of trying to assemble their own laptop or phone.

Not saying that necessarily applies here.

Edited by Hemisphere - 17 May 2018 at 7:05am
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12