Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screw/bolt extractor kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screw/bolt extractor kit
    Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:55am
Can anyone recommend a good Screw/bolt extractor kit?
Soundbite
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:07pm
What bolt in what material?

I've rarely seen a bolt extractor work well but there are other methods...
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:39pm
Heat is best as long as it won't affect the surrounding materials, then impact tools then oils. 

Hardened removing tools have their place but you have to be really careful as they're prone to snap off in what youre trying to back out making the whole issue a lot worse. 

Can you  carefully drill and retap?
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 7:14am
Or... 

Place a washer over the broken bolt and weld it on filling the hole. Now drop a nut on the washer and weld that in a few spots around the outside.  
This has saved me with snapped bolts a few times.  
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:11am
Thanks for the replies I was changing the bolts that secures the castors wheels on one of my cabs and the head of the bolt just came away ive got the castor off but the rest of the bolt remains in the cab flush. I cannot apply heat as I will set the cab on fire

Edited by djkeet - 21 May 2018 at 12:14am
Soundbite
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:11pm
If you have the means (and I'm working off the top of my head so no idea how easy this would be), how about filing a slot into the end of the bolt to allow you to use a screwdriver on it?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:31pm
Dremel with cutting disc might be able to do that, worth a poke. Or drill it out if you have access to the right kit.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 3:38pm
Or as above with a hacksaw.

(Duh didn't read flush). Maybe a fragment of a hacksaw blade in a pair of pliers could cut a groove enough to get a screwdriver in with a bit of work. Slow and fiddly but it's an option if all else fails.

Edited by Hemisphere - 21 May 2018 at 3:42pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 1:25am
If the bolt was fixed to the inside of the speaker cab with a t-nut, just hammer the remains of the bolt shaft through (this'll rip the t-nut out) and retrieve from inside the cab.

When the only tool you have is a hammer (well, no extractor or welders), every problem looks like a nail...
 Post Reply Post Reply