FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LCD monitor trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LCD monitor trouble
    Posted: 08 June 2018 at 8:49pm
I blame Mike Rowe.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 8:41pm
Its almost as if Microsoft are trying to make 'legacy' computers unusable Wink 
For the issue I had, I really thought the graphics card had died which would have meant new laptop time, it was only a good few days googling that I found the answer (and legacy driver). 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 7:23pm
The plot thickens.

Although to be fair it was a pretty thin plot to begin with so that's not saying much.

Installed a new driver and that didn't help. I tried switching to only display on the affected screen and that didn't help either BUT I did notice something curious - First of all it's literally impossible to change the resolution of the affected screen, or the orientation, these options are simply blanked out. Secondly the brightness slider, though it lets me move it, doesn't affect the brightness of the screen at all (which as mentioned is exceedingly bright as it is - looks like 100% might look like.

These issues are not replicated on the other laptop.

So it looks like a software issue after all. Driver is up to date though...apparently. Unless it's a windows 10 VGA specific issue!! Intel HD graphics 530. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 9:02am
As mentioned the panel is fine. First sign was the menu screen being okay, now 100% confirmed by connecting to another laptop.

It's either the VGA out on the laptop or a graphic driver issue as suggested - I do have a fuzzy memory about graphic driver issues leading to issues like this with external displays (too much strain on the compromised hardware to deliver two displays at once so the second one craps out) so that's the next thing to check.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 12:31am
The LCD my just be on its way out... cheap as chips to buy and simple as replacing a cable too...
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 9:55pm
I could have sworn that jiggling the VGA connector on the laptop was having some small impact but that may have been wishful thinking! I will check driver issues and see if that helps - scrubbing all around the connector area inside the case with a toothbrush didn't and the solder joints all look fine.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 8:58pm
What OS are you running?
I had loads of problems with a recent Windows 10 update, that updated my graphics card driver and made it 'obsolete' - I did think the inbuilt graphics card had toasted itself, but found the old driver, re-installed and so far (touch wood) its been OK.
Just something to possibly think about? 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 4:45pm
Well that's one hypothesis ruled out. It is the laptop! Nightmare lol - lucky it's on it's last legs but still very annoying as hooking it up to a monitor as a desktop replacement was how I hoped to squeeze some more life out of it.

Going to try: loose connections, dust out, crossed wires.

Edited by Hemisphere - 07 June 2018 at 4:48pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 4:15pm
Trying to get an old(ish) monitor working, an NEC LCD2190UXp, VGA only inputs. I had an old VGA cable and after noticing flickering (faint) white horizontal bands on the monitor when connected, I assumed it was the VGA cable at fault (one of the pins not connecting properly or one of the wires damaged inside). That's what most of the advice I could find online said it would be. It wasn't that critical so I left it.

Today I really needed it so I bought a new VGA cable and the problem persists. When the monitor isn't connected to a computer, the menu screen is perfectly rendered, so there's no problem with the panel itself. I have cleaned the monitor a couple of times since it was last used and the cloth could have been less damp, so I can't completely rule out water damage. 

The only thing I can think of doing is to open it up and check around the connector to see if anything's loose on the inside. If there was a problem with the panel itself then the menu wouldn't work. The worry is it could be something that interfaces between the PC and the panel that's causing the lines, but it looks like a distinctly analog fault, a lot like a TV arial not plugged all the way in. There's a small chance the same might be true of the other end (the laptop VGA output)! I'm not keen on getting inside either of those areas but it may have to be done.

Oh the other thing is there seems to be a white 'blowout' like someone turned the contrast and brightness way up even though they're on average setting (and turning them down doesn't really help it just makes it look dimmer and lower contrast but still blown out)

Edited by Hemisphere - 07 June 2018 at 4:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply