Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 15" drivers for single bass reflex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake153 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 15" drivers for single bass reflex
    Posted: 14 June 2018 at 6:00pm
I'm looking at building two 15" BR boxes, primarily to cover the low end of a system playing soul, disco, house. Looking for Clarity and tight, punchy bass over extreme spl. 

But, I'm diving into a world of drivers I know very little about, so was wondering if there were any favourites for single reflex without breaking the bank.

Budget is £250 max per driver

Currently I'm looking at:
- BMS 15S330
- PD 15BR40 
- Fane 15XB

But, this is based mainly on the fact that they've been used in other BR designs I've seen, rather than any personal experience.

This will be my first build so i'm going in a bit blind...
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 7:36pm
Can't comment on the first two as I can't say I've heard them, but a BR with a 15XB is good choice to my ears. There's even a plan for it on the Fane site that they designed.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:08pm
Beyma 15G400 is very good indeed and is what I use in very compact boxes.  As is the 15LX60.

B&C 15PS100 is another option.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Can't comment on the first two as I can't say I've heard them, but a BR with a 15XB is good choice to my ears. There's even a plan for it on the Fane site that they designed.

Same here, had a pair of 15XB's for years in cabs similar to the Fane plan, they were always my 'go to' bass cabs for smaller gigs, well, I say smaller gigs but they would cover a couple of hundred people if pushed a bit. They even lived in a pub install for a couple of years getting absolutely spanked every weekend and they lapped it up. For soul, disco and house they would sound very nice indeed, round, warm, low bass. My only complaint was that they weren't the punchiest of drivers but a bit of eq would cure that.
Jake153 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake153 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 8:50pm
Cheers for the responses! I've heard the most praise generally for the fane's over any other 15" for this purpose, so it looks likely I'll go for those. Haven't looked at any Beyma's yet so thanks for the heads up ceharden.

I was planning on making single boxes for practical purposes (being able to move them on my own would be useful), but have also considered building a dual instead of two singles. Would there be a significant advantage in terms of sound? I've been told it's better to have one dual rather than two singles, but don't fully understand why...
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 9:50pm
If you don't need them to go blisteringly loud and the 25-35Hz band  isn't critical, but studio/reference quality is what you're after, look at the 18sound 15nd930.

Very lightweight neo also so that's a bonus. It plays the bass section in a number of critically acclaimed commercial and DIY designs - excellent midbass.

Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Jake153 Jake153 wrote:

I'm looking at building two 15" BR boxes, primarily to cover the low end of a system playing soul, disco, house. Looking for Clarity and tight, punchy bass over extreme spl

I have the bms 15n630 version (neo version of the 330)

Exactly that.  Tight, clean and punchy as hell. I love them.  My build is on here and if you wanna hear them and youre in the south west any time drop me a line. 

Edited by JonB67 - 15 June 2018 at 6:52am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Jake153 Jake153 wrote:

I was planning on making single boxes for practical purposes (being able to move them on my own would be useful), but have also considered building a dual instead of two singles. Would there be a significant advantage in terms of sound? I've been told it's better to have one dual rather than two singles, but don't fully understand why...

Makes no difference if you put the two singles next to each other. If you seperate two singles it could cause cancellations... other than that a double isn't actually any better.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 12:29am
A well braced double might experience some marginal benefits in stability (and preventing associated losses/distortion, albeit minor) not only from the bracing but from being heavier overall and having a coherent structure.

Probably more importantly it looks more professional, especially in large stacks.

Edited by Hemisphere - 15 June 2018 at 12:30am
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

A well braced double might experience some marginal benefits in stability (and preventing associated losses/distortion, albeit minor) not only from the bracing but from being heavier overall and having a coherent structure.

More stable than two equally well braced singles? Strange comparison otherwise.
If you build the doubles common chamber and lose a driver you have basically two down, and if you build a double with separate chambers its basically two singles.  

Doubles look better, easier to stack but singles easier to carry up stairs!

I built singles but am currently redesigning doubles to take the same drivers. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 11:38am
Depends if having all the mass locked into one enclosure helps or not. There would be twice as much sound pressure inside, but a much heavier overall structure to vibrate. Does sound pressure actually have a linear impact on cabinet vibrations? 

If it does, and we also factored the added efficiency coupling of multiple drivers inside the cavity (an effect which would only take place once the soundwaves had left the box in singles), then doubles could even be marginally worse for cabinet vibrations.

In any case the impacts one way or the other would be marginal, but however marginal they might be it would be interesting to find out.
 Post Reply Post Reply