Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin 215mk3 with pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Is it a go or no-go to make them as halfs?

The middle divider doesnt go all the way to the front, so the drivers share the horn in some way ? 
Risky I would say you might loose alot from doing that boss , why would you want to build it like that , balance will always not be very good, maybe better to build a different box, what do you want you box to do ? 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2018 at 11:33am
It would be a easyer one man lift 🙂 but I guess your right. Better stick to the drawing. I have a faint memory about someone saying that the sound of the bins are partial because of the shared horn. But cant find that post any more. Might be another design Maybe.
But im gonna stick to plans 🙂

Im gonna look for drivers Today. Thinking of 18sound 15lw2400 or 15nlw9401. If they fit.
Or Maybe rcf. Pd is also Nice, but are a bit Hard sounding.

Edited by FOO - 27 December 2018 at 11:33am
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

It would be a easyer one man lift 🙂 but I guess your right. Better stick to the drawing. I have a faint memory about someone saying that the sound of the bins are partial because of the shared horn. But cant find that post any more. Might be another design Maybe.
But im gonna stick to plans 🙂

Im gonna look for drivers Today. Thinking of 18sound 15lw2400 or 15nlw9401. If they fit.
Or Maybe rcf. Pd is also Nice, but are a bit Hard sounding.
https://forum.speakerplans.com/martin-115-215-classic-115-long-throw_topic78156.html Someone asked kind of the same question nobody answered, I use pd1550 go lower and still high enough to meet my mid-top , most people i’ve heard of with these use Pd 1550 ,154, rcf MB15N401, there’s also the fane 15sb, they can all fit if you drop the metal handle which i’l drop in the future, since we are building more of them . 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2019 at 10:03am
Firstly really nice build. I really want to ask why would you build 215's. What is your motive? I say that because we are now in 2019 and there are much more modern enclosures. I have heard them many moons ago but have no memory of how they sound. I know people rave about them. are they still that good?
You haven't said a word about how they sound. Please let us know.
What hp and what lp? I know you have those 21's for the sub. But how high do you go to meet the f1's ?
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 9:18am
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

Firstly really nice build. I really want to ask why would you build 215's. What is your motive? I say that because we are now in 2019 and there are much more modern enclosures. I have heard them many moons ago but have no memory of how they sound. I know people rave about them. are they still that good?
You haven't said a word about how they sound. Please let us know.
What hp and what lp? I know you have those 21's for the sub. But how high do you go to meet the f1's ?
The answer to your questions, are in the question itself, you say you hear people rave about them , 
1. The cab is proven, works good for lots of different setups, 
2. Talking about how they sound 🤭am not trying to sell them so no need for advancement, the sound as most people who have used them know , is still in the top five kick bins even made , if you are asking me , 
3. Look up the topics with Martin audio 215mk3 in here and on the net , as I don’t have time to answer stuff we’ve been thru for years , i’l End up writing a book on them . 
Read and learn , today many kicks run 18” or 15” some try 12” , not many do above 180/200hz without being honky , 
If you want to build some , I wouldn’t advise, they are heavy, best used in groups, and sound very good. 🤐🤬🏋🏿‍♂️🤭
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 8:14am
thanks FF for the reply. One reason I asked why you would build a vintage cab as such, was I read a thread long ago on the lab horn. A member on here (well respected) Said 'why build a design that is 10 years old there are much more advanced cabs out there' . plus one on all the modern kick cabs. Just what I was thinking. Thanks again and I hope you enjoy them. JBL man says they will hit 800hz but not quite hi fi. LOL.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

... I asked why you would build a vintage cab as such...

AFAIK, the laws of physics haven't changed much in the last 15B years, if it worked then, should work now!

Only now we have silly power drivers and cheap watts too, and oodles of cheap DSP to fix anything that isn't fixed by ply and cardboard and magnets.

Sounds safer to use a proven design, just sourcing/researching driver choice, then spend months on potentially fruitless R&D?

Any design, old or new, is still a trade off between price, spl and band-width. Choose 2 out 3, and suffer the compromise on the third.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:37pm
There are real-world products being sold that are variants of this design, in many countries. In some cases, making use of modern components, to get silly output. Hell, most of the 'modern' kick cabs are just variants of the same principle with slightly different design goals.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 7:39pm
^^Isn't most Funktion One stuff just some old Turbosound from the 80's painted purple....?   

To quote another member; I'll get me coat..... LOL

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 8:58pm
Hey now, that's not fair. In the last couple years, they've found the 'scale' tool in SketchUp and released 24" and 32" versions too!

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Hey now, that's not fair. In the last couple years, they've found the 'scale' tool in SketchUp and released 24" and 32" versions too!

That would be funny, if it wasn't tinged with a knats grain of truth!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 9:08am
I am all for vintage. I would guess they sound fantastic. And look brutal. I think it depends on what you grew up on. I love that old in ya face kick. Much respect to mr francis. I totaly get his thinking. Just wouldn't want to lug them. I bet it's worth the pain however. Please keep posting to keep the dance stack off the top.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>