Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin 215mk3 with pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 1:05pm
Teenage me stood in front of a huge pile of F2B and that was the first time my jaw dropped from sound, so I have a soft spot for this sort of design. There’s nowt wrong with it!
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

Just wouldn't want to lug them.

Like labhorns....
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

Just wouldn't want to lug them.

Like labhorns....

Pfft, you guys should try moving a real sub...

Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 7:04pm
I don't overstand you think these are heavy , they aren't 115kg with the changes , anyway I don't do venues with stairs , If a venue has stairs they can carry the stuff on their own or pay extra for movers . work like a pro , 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:39pm
I would think that three of these are about the same size as two lab horns. Push out alot more sound I would think. So well worth the move.
Bob I only take the labs to out door and big Gymnasium type events now. Have done stairs not any more. Trying to move on from them. Just need time to build something else. Got 12x18inch drivers waiting.

Edited by doller - 13 January 2019 at 11:39pm
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2019 at 11:40pm
Toasty > Yer! that's a lug.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2019 at 8:55pm
Any progress on this project Francis? 😄
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Teenage me stood in front of a huge pile of F2B and that was the first time my jaw dropped from sound, so I have a soft spot for this sort of design. There’s nowt wrong with it!

Kyle--Was that by any chance on a Deep Purple tour a long time ago?
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I am fairly sure if you stood in front of it today, with all your experience, you would still be impressed - 2x15", 500W (peak!) each driver, essentially flat from 40-200, and 107dB 1W/1m!

If you wanted more,
Originally posted by Martin Audio Data Sheet Martin Audio Data Sheet wrote:

"...an additional sub-bass system is useful where high energy levels of energy are required below 40Hz, for example for special effects."

Martin FSX, 2x18", 101db @1 W @ 1m... in big enough stacks "...full output is maintained down to 28Hz..."

As I keep bleating on about, the laws of physics haven't changed; just our fashion for systems measured in MWatts (despite still only making 135+ish dB) and able to reproduce 20Hz like 100Hz.

For live music, the instruments haven't changed that much, only the keyboard and electronically synthed noise will ever create 20Hz, so what is the point?!?

Our desperation to produce that 20-40Hz octave is really distorting our attention away from efficiency, as much as sound quality in other pass bands.

There is a lovely bit in the Martin F2 User guide, where it compares Box A, Box B and Box C.

Box A - 107dB 1W/1m 1000W, Ten cabs in 3 foot of truckspace

Box B - 102dB 1W/1m 1200W, 12 cabs in 3 foot of truckspace

Box C- 102dB 1W/1m 1600, 9 in 3 feet of truckspace.

To produce same SPL as 10x Box A, you need 26 Box B, or 20 Box C. And amplifiers...Twice as many lorries for same SPL...

Obviously Box A is the F2B!

/High Horse
/Rant
/Coat being off
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 1:54pm
One of if not my favorite all time bass sections, lovely sounding with phenomenal impact.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

As I keep bleating on about, the laws of physics haven't changed; just our fashion for systems measured in MWatts (despite still only making 135+ish dB) and able to reproduce 20Hz like 100Hz.

For live music, the instruments haven't changed that much, only the keyboard and electronically synthed noise will ever create 20Hz, so what is the point?!?

Our desperation to produce that 20-40Hz octave is really distorting our attention away from efficiency, as much as sound quality in other pass bands.

There is a lovely bit in the Martin F2 User guide, where it compares Box A, Box B and Box C.

Box A - 107dB 1W/1m 1000W, Ten cabs in 3 foot of truckspace

Box B - 102dB 1W/1m 1200W, 12 cabs in 3 foot of truckspace

Box C- 102dB 1W/1m 1600, 9 in 3 feet of truckspace.

To produce same SPL as 10x Box A, you need 26 Box B, or 20 Box C. And amplifiers...Twice as many lorries for same SPL...

Obviously Box A is the F2B!

/High Horse
/Rant
/Coat being off

Clap Clap Clap Thumbs Up Clap Clap Clap

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 2:05pm
F2B is my favourite bass cabinet of all time and I have always preferred the sound of it compared to a mk3 bass horn.
The other good reason for having F2B cabinets is that they are very small for what they can kick out--almost half the size and a lot lighter than a mk3 and also great for truck packs.
The only reason why there are no copies of them knocking about is due to their rarity and not many people hearing them used in anger, as has been discussed in depth before on this forum.
I have a personal hate of the Martin mk2 bass horn as they are extremely "honky" and virtually impossible to get some serious punchy bass out of them even when stacked six high.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>