Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin 215mk3 with pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 4:36pm
Francis, what drivers did you settle on?

I know you have been talking about PD 1550 and RCF MB15n401. 
But Why the RCF? 5,5mm Xmax??

I am still looking into drivers, but 18sound 15lw2400 and 15nlw9401 still tickles my thoughts.
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Francis, what drivers did you settle on?

I know you have been talking about PD 1550 and RCF MB15n401. 
But Why the RCF? 5,5mm Xmax??

I am still looking into drivers, but 18sound 15lw2400 and 15nlw9401 still tickles my thoughts.
I’v Had abit too many things up my sleeve so I still need to sand them put some handles on then I can test, 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2019 at 9:36pm
So did abit of work on the boxes , we soon there

Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 7:02am
Nice 
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 8:48am
Looking good Thumbs Up
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 9:17am
Thanks guys , I know it's taken some time ,but you know good stuff takes time.
i know one be asking themselves why I got 4 holes in each cab , reason is I don't want loose cables in the cabs , one speaker will be wired 1+1- and the next 2+2- , so when using amps like the X4 ,depending on how many we are using a 4x4mm cable into the first cab and links for the rest and no loose cables inthe box making all kinds of noise , painting starts in the weekend , spraybooth ready and 30kg of warnex ready, so more pics next week 
Waipy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waipy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:54am
Hey Father-Francis, can't send you a PM yet so I'll reflood this topic...

did the handles fitted nice in the hatch part? i did some calculations long ago for a pd1550 and if they were correct those two wont fit. but that was long ago and i am about to build one.

i thought also on placing two retractile handles in each side were the one that is not in the hatch is if i cant put the ones in the hatch
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 7:06pm
so build is long done we got 6 of these kicking about the place, anyway, in afew weeks we should be getting our hands on 4xphilishaves. so next up will be building a nice top for them , any ideas that doesn't cut off peoples heads like the old Jbl ,that martin used in the system before,need something that can keep up two philishaves per side  
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:43pm
Beautiful woodwork there!! and they ARE killer bins !
In my experience... three is not high enough to effectively use Philishaves.
 Phillishaves will sound best one aside as they create a highly efficient point source.(stacking more gets exponentially more difficult and needs to be done vertically)
 Ideally, they would be tilted downwards as to not dispose of half of their glorious sound to entertain the pigeons.
The half sized "lady shaves" are a better format but do not sound the same as the co-entrant 2x12  philis ( a ground breaking design even now ! ) They both use  a "phase plug" ( it isnt ) which is basically the same as any compression driver uses to recombine in time the diaphragms area  and then squish it through a smaller exit into a horn . The drivers that martin used had a very shallow dome that fitted the (very heavy) resin "compression  bung".......
As with a lot of things we could say " It was so good ,they had to stop making it!! "  (edit,  sarcasm alert!)
There are far more practical mid hi solutions that will out perform this format , bearing in mind that height will give you more of an initial advantage , and wont try to kill you lifting it .

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 14 May 2022 at 12:09am
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Tinnitus Rex Tinnitus Rex wrote:

Beautiful woodwork there!! and they ARE killer bins !
In my experience... three is not high enough to effectively use Philishaves.
 Phillishaves will sound best one aside as they create a highly efficient point source.(stacking more gets exponentially more difficult and needs to be done vertically)
 Ideally, they would be tilted downwards as to not dispose of half of their glorious sound to entertain the pigeons.
The half sized "lady shaves" are a better format but do not sound the same as the co-entrant 2x12  philis ( a ground breaking design even now ! ) They both use  a "phase plug" ( it isnt ) which is basically the same as any compression driver uses to recombine in time the diaphragms area  and then squish it through a smaller exit into a horn . The drivers that martin used had a very shallow dome that fitted the (very heavy) resin "compression  bung".......

I hear what you are saying but lots of old pics and some new , i find more than one per side , here is an example 
I'd say if they did it then it shouldn't be a problem , 
the ones I looked at have phase plugs, and it's kind of a vintage rig we are putting together . 
As with a lot of things we could say " It was so good ,they had to stop making it!! "
There are far more practical mid hi solutions that will out perform this format , bearing in mind that height will give you more of an initial advantage , and wont try to kill you lifting it .

Edited by Father-Francis - 13 May 2022 at 11:27pm
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 12:19am
Cool ,I hadnt seen that before,some nice stuff there  , but that first picture shows what I mean height wise ,who wants a philishave full in the face and how far do you think thats gonna throw? and the lower hf boxes too. It would be ok for a kids party thoughTongue Build two more 215s and your above the problem Smile
An interesting solution for 3 x215s ,Martin did some tall 3x12" with a 2".Very retro !

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 14 May 2022 at 1:23am
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 4:30am
Originally posted by Tinnitus Rex Tinnitus Rex wrote:

Cool ,I hadnt seen that before,some nice stuff there  , but that first picture shows what I mean height wise ,who wants a philishave full in the face and how far do you think thats gonna throw? and the lower hf boxes too. It would be ok for a kids party thoughTongue Build two more 215s and your above the problem Smile
An interesting solution for 3 x215s ,Martin did some tall 3x12" with a 2".Very retro !

Do you mean these 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567