Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kappa 12sub plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kappa 12sub plans
    Posted: 20 June 2018 at 1:05pm
Hi guys looking to build some subs gonna be using Kappa 12" has anyone made any with the kappa 12 ideally something compact 
Best wishes 
Flip 
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by djscooby djscooby wrote:

Hi guys looking to build some subs gonna be using Kappa 12" has anyone made any with the kappa 12 ideally something compact 
Best wishes 
Flip 

Totally not a sub driver, unfortunately. Xmax is way too low.
Take a look at the suggested designs pdf on Emi's website - the deepest cab they've modelled has to have a High Pass Filter set to 60Hz, and even then the usable power is de-rated down to just over 100W.
Are you constrained to use them because that's what you already have, or is there any flexibility to choose something else?
If you can, you need to be looking at something with as much Xmax as possible.
Something like the Beyma 12MC500 has a little over 2x as much Xmax, so all else being equal should be able to go about 6dB louder in the LF region. it's also not much more expensive if you're buying new.

Edit to add - the 12MC500 is still definitely not a dedicated sub driver - with an Fs of 57Hz you can get to maybe 50Hz f3 with reasonable SPL, but in the price range implied by the Kappa 12, there probably aren't any real sub drivers so it'll always be a compromise.

HTH,
David.

Edited by DMorison - 20 June 2018 at 5:34pm
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:46am
IMHO, if you want to combine the words bass cab, 12 inch driver and compact, then you could do far worse than THAM12 loaded with oberton 12B450, but that’s pushing the budget somewhat

Edited by TMH Music - 21 June 2018 at 12:54am
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 6:56am
Single or double q12? By the late Toby wilkes, plans available from user bee after donation to brirish heart foundation.  Search this site!

Edited by JonB67 - 21 June 2018 at 6:57am
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:20am
Kappa pro 12 won't work in the q12 the legends designs where driver specific 
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:22am
I've decided to use the faital pro 12hp1010 instead if anyone has winisd files on that? 
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:20am
@DJ SCOOBY, You are dead right, Kappa 12 will not work in Q12, but if you don’t mind spending 12hp1010 money, then you can get BMS 12S330, which, if I’m not very much mistaken, will work quite nicely in Q12!!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:58am

Djscooby, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

The Q12 drops fairly low but needs a lot of power as it’s a compact 12”, to get it to drop low in a small cab you have to sacrifice SPL and it will max out at about 120db.

The Tham 12 is much more efficient at about 100db/watt @1mtr (105db/Watt if corner loaded) and with the Beyma 12LX60V2 driver fitted should hit 128db continuous…. however it doesn’t drop much below 50HZ, (most large bass horns including Rog’s 1850, 168 & F1’s F218 won’t get much lower than this when used in singles), for a lot of situations and types of music 50hz is low enough.

You can have a compact 12” bass cab that will drop low but that’s power hungry, or a compact 12” bass cab that’s efficient and will give high SPL but NOT both!!

Edited by APW - 21 June 2018 at 11:59am
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Djscooby, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

The Q12 drops fairly low but needs a lot of power as it’s a compact 12”, to get it to drop low in a small cab you have to sacrifice SPL and it will max out at about 120db.

The Tham 12 is much more efficient at about 100db/watt @1mtr (105db/Watt if corner loaded) and with the Beyma 12LX60V2 driver fitted should hit 128db continuous…. however it doesn’t drop much below 50HZ, (most large bass horns including Rog’s 1850, 168 & F1’s F218 won’t get much lower than this when used in singles), for a lot of situations and types of music 50hz is low enough.

You can have a compact 12” bass cab that will drop low but that’s power hungry, or a compact 12” bass cab that’s efficient and will give high SPL but NOT both!!

Thumbs Up

This. It’s a Scotty situation “Ye cannae change the laws of physics!!!!”

djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 5:42pm
The faital pro 12hp1010 will perform better in a 42ltr box than the Q12 

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 7:55pm

That may be true, but you haven't answered my question... Do you want bass extension or SPL?

.... BTW the faital 12hp1010 doesn’t look to shabby when modelled in the tham.

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:42am

Given the q12 is a design not a driver i assume you mean it delivers better in a q12 size  box than the bms 12s330?

Interesting if so.  Got comparative graphs youd be willing to post?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>