Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 channel class D amplifier on sub bass duty?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simpson_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 channel class D amplifier on sub bass duty?
    Posted: 06 July 2018 at 5:54pm
I'm looking for an amp to push 4 X 4ohm 700w scoop loaded drivers. I have currently only got 2 loaded as I'm waiting on my other 2 scoops to be built but I mean for future reference.

Anyway I've seen a class D amplifier that states it is 4 X 2100w @ 4 ohm for a relatively good price (£900) from a relatively new company and it does have good reviews from what I've seen. My question is would a 4 channel amplifier be suitable for playing 35-85hz for prolonged periods? 

Alternitivley I could sell my two current 4 ohm subwoofers and basically swap for 8 ohm varients and purchase a 2 channel amplifier and push 2 subs per channel.

Little bit lost for what I should do here so any advice would be greatly appreciated 👍
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 8:14pm
swapping out for 8 Ohm drivers whatever way you go with amps.
Bluearan do a 4 channel amp that may be worth a look - Jam Q10 which, something I like about it is that it is rated to drive a 4 Ohm load per channel and 2 Ohms at a push and each channel is independant as in if one goes down you can disconnect it and carry on using the other three. 

Edited by fatfreddiescat - 06 July 2018 at 8:15pm
Simpson_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simpson_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 8:20pm
So you think regardless it's worth swapping out to 8ohm drivers? Thanks for the advice but what's your reading behind this? Cheers 👍
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2018 at 9:02pm
should have said if not to difficult, would just give more options re amps, easier to get replacement drivers and also to expand the system in the future if you decide to. Not a must do.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:13pm
almost all "cheap" lightweight class D 4ch amps are not designed to do sub duty on all 4 channels.. they simply struggle to deliver the required current.. (either pop fuses or pop internally, depending on design/quality..)

either balance the loads and use 2 channels for kick/top duty to keep the 4ch amp/s happy or swap for 8ohm drivers and a dedicated sub amp running 4ohm per Ch, or wire the 4ohm drivers in series and use 2 "cheap" but proven bridged amps capable of delivering about 2kw at 8ohm bridge/1kw 4ohm stereo..

Simpson_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simpson_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:23pm
Thanks for the advise! Does wiring in series have any cons or is it fine to run as normal? So 2 x 4ohm drivers would be wired to 8ohm? 

Looks like my best bet it with buying 8ohm drivers and an amp used such as matrix 7k / 10k and running 2 per channel at 4ohm. 

Have you got any amp a reccomredations?

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:42pm

What about FFA? For some reason Full Fat Audio is always forgotten which is shocking considering I first heard about them decades ago back on Squat Juice when Noise Control was making some good noise with them.

http://www.fullfataudio.com/products/ 

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 8:58pm
I heard Linea  Research on sub duty at the weekend, not cheap but they did deliver Smile
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:40pm
We run Linea's on our subs and they absolutely spank it even on a domestic power supply.

You will be looking at around £3k for any decent 4 channel DSP amp though.
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

What about FFA? For some reason Full Fat Audio is always forgotten 

I love those amps. close to 8 years of use without issues...
still I'd not recommend their 4 channel amps to run 4 scoops with 4 ohm drivers, you'd better go with the 6000/8000/10000 and run at 2 ohms, as they can do it and would deliver the sub better than the 4 ch, the latter sound fast and accurate but would clip sooner
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:58pm
did St Pauls carnival with two SAE PQM13. each amp had two channels bridged into a pair of tapped horns with 1500W Fane drivers. other two channels running mid and tops. First time in a while I've had no volume restriction and a 32A supply. I thought they performed well - proper skull vibrating basslines.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 11:35pm
got plenty of sae 4ch ones.. guess i know their limits quite well by now.. other "cheap" similar ones are no exception to the common rule imo... compare the same cabs on say k10s or k20s and let me know your thoughts.. - specially with heavy cones and strong force/load on the cone the 4ch jobbies lose control quickly in comparison, imho.. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>