Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 channel class D amplifier on sub bass duty?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:25am
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

got plenty of sae 4ch ones.. guess i know their limits quite well by now.. other "cheap" similar ones are no exception to the common rule imo... compare the same cabs on say k10s or k20s and let me know your thoughts.. - specially with heavy cones and strong force/load on the cone the 4ch jobbies lose control quickly in comparison, imho.. 

I think you need to try a Saturn 10 Alex,  or the new higher power version ;)
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 11:40am
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

What about FFA? For some reason Full Fat Audio is always forgotten 

I love those amps. close to 8 years of use without issues...
still I'd not recommend their 4 channel amps to run 4 scoops with 4 ohm drivers, you'd better go with the 6000/8000/10000 and run at 2 ohms, as they can do it and would deliver the sub better than the 4 ch, the latter sound fast and accurate but would clip sooner

Why not the 6004?

1500 watts per channel (4 Channels) @ 4 ohms

That is twice the rating of the speakers (700 watts) which is far more headroom long-term than strapping a 2 ohm per channel amplifier into 2 ohms and living off of momentary burst ratings. 

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 10 July 2018 at 11:44am
Elliot Thompson
Simpson_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simpson_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:31pm

Edited by Simpson_ - 10 July 2018 at 12:33pm
Simpson_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simpson_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 12:35pm
Struggling to find reviews on that amp but I've heard great things. What's your experiences like with all 4 channels running on sub/bass? 

Thanks 
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:14pm
DO NOT use 4 ch amp all channels driven by sub or bass!
Currently there is almost no amp on the market which would perform good by this setup.
Split the load between channels, one shall drive low, another mid then another high speakers.
For the subs a strong dedicated good low-performance amplifier matched the needs of your transducers is mandatory.
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 2:50pm

[QUOTE=Elliot Thompson]

I love those amps. close to 8 years of 

Why not the 6004?

That is twice the rating of the speakers (700 watts) which is far more headroom long-term than strapping a 2 ohm per channel amplifier into 2 ohms and living off of momentary burst ratings. 

Best Regards, 

I've run 6004 on upper bass from 2011 to january, then moved to a 10000, and i noticed an improvement. 6004 was fine dont get me wrong
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:10pm

[QUOTE=Elliot Thompson]

I love those amps. close to 8 years of 

Why not the 6004?

Best Regards, 

I've run 6004 on upper bass from 2011 to january, then moved to a 10000, and i noticed an improvement. 6004 was fine dont get me wrong

Possibly your speakers are more powerful why you see an improvement?

Bear in mind the speakers are 700 watts so, there will be 800 watts of available headroom at Simpson’s disposal. That is more than the majority of users out there that use Scoops and piggyback their amplifier down to 2 ohms per channel for each loudspeaker.

Once you exceed the loudspeakers program rating (700 watts) times two and above (1500 watts) you have the speaker operating at optimum performance. This will give you the most volume from the loudspeaker without clipping the amplifier during the process. 

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

got plenty of sae 4ch ones.. guess i know their limits quite well by now.. other "cheap" similar ones are no exception to the common rule imo... compare the same cabs on say k10s or k20s and let me know your thoughts.. - specially with heavy cones and strong force/load on the cone the 4ch jobbies lose control quickly in comparison, imho.. 

I think you need to try a Saturn 10 Alex,  or the new higher power version ;)

guess i am sorted now re. sub amps.. ;) 
I am not saying 4ch amps cant do bass 40ish hz up, pqm13/tsa 4-1300 etc. do bass 4ohm nominal without major issues, even on all 4ch but most will struggle delivering low notes at low impedances and rather heavy cones - high current - though , the saturn10 will likely be no exception as its basically similar design and layout as almost all 4ch chinese jobbies, lab based, no pun intended! Happy to A/B your Amps driving 8 Orbit3s vs pqm13s, k10s, k20s anytime mate - in my books almost all 4ch amp are mainly suited for mixed loads though, which makes sense to me.. 

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 8:58pm

almost all "cheap" lightweight class D 4ch amps are not designed to do sub duty on all 4 channels.. they simply struggle to deliver the required current.. (either pop fuses or pop internally, depending on design/quality..)

Please say this again, some people here, really expect free lunch.

You've got 4x 4 ohm drivers ?

Drive 4x drivers with Crest CA18, Crown Macrotech MA5000VZ, or 1x driver per channel with 2x JBL MPX1200/QSC 4050HD.

No cheap 4x channel Class D, will come near any of the above combinations.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:52pm
no 4ohm driver business here, all are 8ohm nominal lev.. 
2 of our subs are about 6ohm in reality, 4 kicks are about 3ohm..

k20s do handle sub properly, pair of subs per ch, k10s do handle 4 kicks properly, per ch..

4ch amps are suitable for small scale jobs or mid/hi mixed jobbies imho..

no free lunch there imho.. 
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 11:50pm
powersoft X8? Linea research 44m20..?
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 7:39am
Originally posted by re-production re-production wrote:

powersoft X8? Linea research 44m20..?

Of course, but not cheap. People want to get away with 800 quid new stuff and expect 4 x 1500 at Powersoft and Linea ability. Nope.  You want cheap like that buy two iNuke 6000 (or the new one when it arrives).  Me, I bought two JBL MPX and 4 castors for less than 400 quid.
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>