Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drivers to match these cabs (band pass)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drivers to match these cabs (band pass)
    Posted: 11 July 2018 at 12:50pm
Hi thanks in advance for your help and opinions.
I've got to large 2x18 empty cabs.. Kind of externally mounted band pass as in you can see the rear of the magnets when the drivers are installed. I'm not totally sure if the drivers would be better the right way round dropped into each section but as the photos show there are bracing struts across the gap. They are 48" tall  34" deep and 22" wide. I was hoping ultimately to use them either as two sub 100hz in a medium venue or laid down flat in front of a stage as part of a bigger system. I have a few colossus xb some older 800w and some newer ones reconed 1000w but I was hoping to hold on to those for some hog bins. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of cab and are the xbs suitable or could I put some eminence sigmas in or what? Thank you Ellwood 
John Ellwood Taylor
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 2:28pm
Typically you would want to find out what internal volume a single reflex chamber has, plus the port area and port length per chamber. That way you can determine the lower tuning (plus high pass) and what Vas and Qts you're looking for.

As an educated guess I would say the port is 250 cm^2 per chamber, meaning you're looking at a driver that's 1000 W AES or lower. Also Qts x Vas at ~ 100 or lower, so up till now the 18XB fits the specs nicely. The Sigma only has a 3" VC plus Qts x Vas is a lot higher, so I would prefer the 18XB for sure.

Regards Johan

Ellwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 10:28pm
Many thanks
One more question . .I what about colossus 18B 600w ? 
John Ellwood Taylor
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:20pm
It would also work but is more of a bass driver, that would work best with a higher tuning of the reflex port (say 40 Hz and up). I expect it to have a bit more output near the top end (cavity resonator), whereas the XB will probably excel more at the low end.
Ellwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 8:13am
Thanks again!
Just two more questions and I'll be able to get on with it! 
I have several 18xb two recently re-coned with 1000w coils but the rest are older 800w versions  Would mixing an 800w + 1000w in the same cab create any issues? 
Secondly there are no recessed handles in the cab  is this going to affect calculations much if I encroach into the top and bottom for a handle ? 
Thank you 
Ellwood 

Edited by Ellwood - 13 July 2018 at 6:44pm
John Ellwood Taylor
mi mong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mi mong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 6:51am
they are mn-246 cabs deigned by marco o from horn plans..... original drivers were rcf....I would mount the drivers with the magnets out as per the design
i went out today in my dressing gown......
 Post Reply Post Reply