Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help: The tuff cab is peeling off!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: The tuff cab is peeling off!
    Posted: 11 July 2018 at 2:42pm

I made some divers with the paint sold by bluearan, (jar with the old black and white graphics) and they scratch very easily (I also tried to mix the paint with vinyl glue.) Is my mistake? Do I need to pass a good base?

Do you recommend warnex? I can not however find the purple f1 available shipped in Italy .. I know only thomann who sees it but only black and white
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 2:58pm
Tuff Cab needs a well-sanded surface, free from any grease, wax or oil. It won't stick to polyester resin car body filler, so if you've got large areas of that you may need to use a primer. If you think there may be oil or grease soaked into the wood, try washing with detergent and then drying thoroughly, then sanding again. If the boxes were previously finished with wax or oil, you need to get all that completely off before applying Tuff Cab.

You should probably just strip it all back to bare wood and start again. If there is a lot of finish to remove, I have had good success using a handheld electric planer, carefully, taking off 0.75mm per pass - it's a lot quicker than sanding, and less messy/smelly than a heat gun.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Angelow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 3:06pm
is a phenolic multilayer, maybe it was better not to sand it and leave it rough?
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:34pm
using "phenolic multilayer" asks for trouble/issues.. use birch ply, prepared for painting as studio45 described!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:55pm
Right, so it's essentially plastic on the outside - Tuff Cab is never going to stick to that. It's a water based paint and needs a surface that absorbs water so it can form a bond. Phenolic resin does not absorb water.

Warnex *might* work better, being solvent-based, but I've never used it so not sure. Phenolic resin is also impervious to most solvents, at least any that are used in paint formulations.

From the WISA page about their phenolic faced plywood: 
"Can I paint phenolic film faced plywood?

We do not recommend this as it requires special paints and even then we cannot guarantee the paint will last."

So it looks like you are stuck with the plain brown finish.....

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:59pm
standard warnex is water based too.. 

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 8:39pm
What am I thinking of then....Trimite. That's the solventy one.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:31pm
even 2part/polyurethane will have issues sticking to phenol properly.. its just saving on the wrong end imo..
Angelow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:33pm
รจ l'unico legno duro che trovo nella mia parte, e se uso un primer
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:44pm
I would get in touch with some dub sounds in your area , or other spekaerbuilders, and kindly ask where they source the birch ply...
Or simply pick the phone and call all the wood sellers you can find.
Can't believe everybody is using phenolic ply.
Angelow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:48pm
but I can not redo 24 cabinet Shocked
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 9:57pm
welcome to the real world and its issues.. 
you have saved a couple of quid on material that leads to more issues.. ;) 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>