Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Insane Halfinator with DSP, bluetooth and lithium
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Insane Halfinator with DSP, bluetooth and lithium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insane Halfinator with DSP, bluetooth and lithium
    Posted: 15 July 2018 at 4:57pm
The last few months my roommate and I have been planning on building the ultimate outdoor speaker. We went with the Halfinator design by Saturnus, but went all out with the electronics. This includes:
-Digital Signal Processor
-High power class-D amplifier
-The premium tweeters (PHT407N)
-High power 18.5V lithium battery
-Long range V4.2 Bluetooth
-3D printed input panel
-Swappable battery
-Birch plywood construction with routed slots for easy and strong construction
-All black tuffcab finish with a crazy color custom aluminium grill with foam insert.

Now that I write it out, I realize how insane this build really is. We are quite far in the process, but not finished. The build log will be posted bit by bit, so stay tuned.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 5:14pm
Begin construction: wood is cut and first slots are routed

Festool making the job easy

First few panels done

Halfway there

Testfit woofer

Next up: routing, drilling and assembly
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 10:59am

spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Oooft, not alot of space for the magnet vent

Edited by spongebob - 17 July 2018 at 11:29am
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 11:38am
No space at all, but that is by design. They are glued with epoxy to the centre brace for structrural integrity. Covering the vent will decrease the power handling slightly, but I am not even close to challenging the limits of the drivers.
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 12:52pm
To ask a stupid question.. Would blocking the magnet vent not significantly change the T/S of the driver?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by spongebob spongebob wrote:

To ask a stupid question.. Would blocking the magnet vent not significantly change the T/S of the driver?

No. The potential change can be roughly calculated by comparing the SD to the vent area. In this case about 50/34000mm2. So less than 0.15% potential change. When you consider that manufacturing variations often is 5%-10%, or even more for woofers it's totally irrelevant.

The main function of a vent is to increase power handling of a woofer by a few % but as the amplifier used in this build is well below the power handling of the woofer by a factor of more than two, even that is completely irrelevant.

Note: comparing SD to vent area is a rough estimate but gives a good indication of the upper limit of the potential change. There is a way to calculate the potential change accurately but for a very small vent size like on the HP10W there's really no point. The change, if any, will be miniscule.

Edited by Saturnus - 17 July 2018 at 2:08pm
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 2:03pm
Thanks for the info!
Jebimasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebimasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 8:52am
Looks cool!

I keep coming back to this forum even though I haven't built or posted in a long time, always very interesting to see what's going on.

I'm building a bluetooth speaker myself at the moment, also almost done. I thought I was building a beast and trust this place to have people building more mad things! mine's cute by comparison. (post coming soon)

I'll have to look at the halfinator design to see what you're aiming for.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 12:03pm
Input panel in place, without all connectors:

Finished product:

Finished product:

The PCB still needs some minor work, but overall the performance is amazing and it has lasted 2 weeks (!) with daily use.

Edited by lutkeveld - 10 October 2018 at 12:05pm
dextrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dextrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 2:52pm
Looks really rugged. I like! For me personally the size of even a Halfinator is just a bit too much.
What kind of protection mesh is that?
TheORig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheORig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2018 at 5:07pm
Hi, looks like an amazing speaker. Really interested in finding out a little bit more about the build. My friends and I are planning to construct something similar. Will you be posting a video test at all?
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>