Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ES18s as sub cabinets?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ES18s as sub cabinets?
    Posted: 18 July 2018 at 9:17pm
Hi
Assembling my first stack as we speak and as I have decided to build and load my kick section (4 ES18s) before building dedicated subs I was wondering if 4 of them in a stack loaded with PD186s would sound good doing 50-160hz and then meeeting them wit a pair of MT130s? Factoring in the low end extension of having four of them would they go low enough for satisfying sub bass? Would be powering them off a Proline 3000 and using the system for small to medium sized parties playing mainly tekno and drum n bass.

Edited by junoprobelaunch - 19 July 2018 at 8:18am
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 10:58pm
drums without bass? :) 
for techno its ok, for bass heavy music a lot of the original signal/information would be missing imho..
btw. theres not much low end extension stacking multiple bandpasshorns..
tsa 4-1300 would be a better choice powering 4x 8ohm kick bins imo..

junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 11:25pm
What makes the tsa a better choice solely for kicks over the proline? 
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 12:02am
lighter, more power, more flexible re setup.. 

junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 8:18am
have to say think I'm gonna go with a proline anyway as I've been offered one for £290 (very close to the price of tsa 4-1300) and all aspects of it considered, its a better amp 
pooju ... plus 10! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju ... plus 10! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 1:27pm
Hi Junoprobelaunch

How did you find this setup in the end?  did you add any subs? - the FS on the 186 was about the same as the SD 18 recommended for lower extension. 

how did they run on the proline amp? 

when I've heard the 4x es18's playing rhythm & sound they sounded plenty low enough to me 

the bigger question here is how much music actually has a baseline that goes below 40hz / E0 especially new stuff. most new music you look at in an analyser will be above this so the bassline is not missing some notes on weaker rigs .... 

The es's still do play the harmonics but at a  much lower level minus 10, but if its just a harmonic it will be quieter anyway ... so there's no issue in a way. 

has there been any recent posts on this stuff ... just got back on to the forum after about 5 years!!!

Edited by pooju ... plus 10! - 24 February 2019 at 1:29pm
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by junoprobelaunch junoprobelaunch wrote:

<SNIP>
4 of them in a stack loaded with PD186s would sound good
<SNIP>
doing 50-160hz
<SNIP>
powering them off a Proline 3000
<SNIP>
drum n bass.

Edited by levyte357- - 24 February 2019 at 1:57pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 2:14pm
Famous man once said to me:

"You can't get into the music business to make money, if you haven't got any."
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 2:36pm
ES18's as one-way bass works perfectly well and the PD186 is a great driver for that. No they will not wobble your trousers as much as a set of dedicated sub-bass bins would, but your trousers will still wobble. 

Think of them like a "traditional" Turbosound/FK1 bass bin, only not 2x18 and a bit bigger - those are most commonly deployed without additional sub-bass, and most people are happy with that. 

(Yes I know you wouldn't be happy with that Lev, but you have high standards ;) )
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2019 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

ES18's as one-way bass works perfectly well and the PD186 is a great driver for that. No they will not wobble your trousers as much as a set of dedicated sub-bass bins would,

This is the problem, sound wll be so nice, operator will get carried away, and wheels come off..

IMHO prob best to get pair of cheap Gsubs/2x18 Reflex, and load them with PD186s.

They will do everything needed.. Right up to the point Proline goes bang, and takes out drivers..

Borrow some money, and get Crown Macrotech MA5000VZ..

That will be sub section done for a long time.
 Post Reply Post Reply