Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

single MKH230

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: single MKH230
    Posted: 08 August 2018 at 11:28pm
Hello builders and soundsystem lovers

I've been thinkingabout building some bass kick speakers based on the MKH230 model.

Originally a double 12" box I'm looking at modifying the design to be used with a single 12" driver. Still using a set of two speakers.
It will be easier and lighter to move around than the version with double driver. 
These are the main reasons why I'm looking at doing this and transportation with my current capabilities.

I'm currently using a custom built soundsystem playing Jamaican music from ska to roots on vinyl records.
The stack is made of 4 Cubo12" stacked on top of each other in set of two speakers per row. Over these I'm now using 2 Cubo Kick12" and 2 b&c design mid tops with 1 12" driver and 1" compression driver horn.
I've been quite happy with the overall sound so far, we play in small to medium spaces ( pub/bar type of room ) and most of times have to keep the sound to half of it's potential.

The MKH230 will replace the Cubo kicks, not because I'm not happy with them but mostly bcs I want to experiment more and build some different design..

Anyone has done any mod like that to the MKH230 ? 
I basically have moved the side wall of the double MKH230 to the center of the baffle panel ( where the bracing piece is on the original design ) then moved the bracing panel in the center between left and right sidewall. ( see below image for a quick visual reference on the sketch up model of the MKH230 )
I'm thinking of adding an horizontal bracing as well in the middle of the vertical bracing just for the look of it ( thinking of giving a contoured profile to the bracing rather than the current plan where the panel is just straight) ....bad idea ?
Also...anyone using this kicks can spare some feedback ?

Looking at future expansion of this sound this choice may not be the wiser as I will have 4 kicks with 2 different design so not the best idea to use them all 4 together in a bigger set up but I guess that when I'll go that route I may look into using different bass speakers ( super scoops most likely ) and then design the kick section around those 

thanks !

Post Reply Post Reply