Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rig for 300 ppl house/techno/disco parties

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

Originally posted by wilidapili wilidapili wrote:

I remember kind of ruling out a reflex system at some point of my research due to reading that they sound harsh. 

No they don't.  Get the right ones and set them up right and they will sound bloody lovely! Don't dismiss them!

Harsh?.. you prob heard an over driven peavey rig that the rider was redlining.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
wilidapili View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

I remember kind of ruling out a reflex system at some point of my research due to reading that they sound harsh. 

No they don't.  Get the right ones and set them up right and they will sound bloody lovely! Don't dismiss them!

Harsh?.. you prob heard an over driven peavey rig that the rider was redlining.

Ha, tbh I might also remember wrong! Further research implies that BR does sound good (and bandpass like X1 might not sound that good), but is a bit inefficient and lacks throw. Which might not be so bad for 300 pax, but what about when expanding the system in the future, unnecessarily much amp power might be needed? Everything is a trade-off, I do understand that. 

Edited by wilidapili - 20 August 2018 at 6:50pm
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:27pm
Reflexes provide proper chest thumping bass, arguably the most out of any bin catergory. For mostly indoor venues, throw shouldn't really be that much of concern. X1s imo are a very mediocre sub and reckon you'd be a lot better off with BR over one.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by junoprobelaunch junoprobelaunch wrote:

arguably
Dead
No they dont.

Eitherway if you want good clean sounding and feeling kick from reflex, box has to be big. 
Btw see how it is recommended to low pass this dual sub on the plan.

Edited by gen0me - 20 August 2018 at 9:04pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

For house, techno and disco for 300 people I totally disagree on Hogs completely, and echo corell's comment of just getting a high end reflex system. Spend the cash on better components and you'll be perfectly happy. Look at the 18sound reflex dual 18" design.

Well, since everyone is recommending BR, I think we'll be doing that. We might go with the (dual?) 18" reflex for the subs. That 18sound dual 18" looks interesting. What do you think about still building some kick bins for that punch? Can 18" drivers even give proper kick punch; reading some of Rog's stuff, seems like at least he doesn't think so.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 9:51pm
Speaker like 18LW2400 would be my liking. Maybe 18NLW4000 if you want more power but it has higher Mms. BMS 18S450.

For 18LW2400 xmax would be high. Also watch those given xmaxes are differently calculated.
Im not sure if you require for house such clean kicking bass. This vent colorization works good fot this style of music.
For sure there will be many cheaper speakers from Fane, Eminence so on.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Speaker like 18LW2400 would be my liking. Maybe 18NLW4000 if you want more power but it has higher Mms. BMS 18S450.

For 18LW2400 xmax would be high. Also watch those given xmaxes are differently calculated.
Im not sure if you require for house such clean kicking bass. This vent colorization works good fot this style of music.
For sure there will be many cheaper speakers from Fane, Eminence so on.

18LW3000 is what that box is optimized for. 
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 6:27am

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

For house, techno and disco for 300 people I totally disagree on Hogs completely, and echo corell's comment of just getting a high end reflex system. Spend the cash on better components and you'll be perfectly happy. Look at the 18sound reflex dual 18" design.

Well, since everyone is recommending BR, I think we'll be doing that. We might go with the (dual?) 18" reflex for the subs. That 18sound dual 18" looks interesting. What do you think about still building some kick bins for that punch? Can 18" drivers even give proper kick punch; reading some of Rog's stuff, seems like at least he doesn't think so.
18s don't do well on kick?... tell that to a stack of ES18's 

Edited by mini-mad - 21 August 2018 at 6:27am
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 8:41am
I will just stick this here.

It normally works out cheaper to buy older pro audio Kit than too Make from scratch.

For the size of rig you are looking at building for similar money you could just go out and buy something like.

6 x WS218X
4 x W8C
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

I will just stick this here.

It normally works out cheaper to buy older pro audio Kit than too Make from scratch.

For the size of rig you are looking at building for similar money you could just go out and buy something like.

6 x WS218X
4 x W8C

I know what I'd be doing, and it wouldn't involve getting the saw out....

Edited by njw - 21 August 2018 at 11:27am
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 12:08pm
RCF esw1018 style enclosures, loaded with 18sound LW2400 (works well with other similar drivers too!) won't go wrong. 
Compact, simple to make, great sounding for techno/house and similar. Good low end extension down to 35-40Hz, 4 together driven by proper amplifier gives insane SPL levels too! 

Hogs and other horn subs are mostly outdoor (or BIG inside venues) stuff imo. 

I have 1018, hogs, some bandpass subs etc.. 

Edited by Tonskulus - 21 August 2018 at 12:15pm
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 1:37pm
You've almost got the whole range of speakerplans responses now, lol. You've certainly got the right answer in there and more monkeys and typewriters than you could ever hope to use.

I'm with the 'build some nice reflex' faction. For the size of events you're proposing they just make sense as a starting point as they have the widest usable bandwidth.

If you want to go 4 way later then putting some 15" horns or bandpass horns on top is a classic tried and tested solution that works very well at those size of gigs for house, techno and DnB. With 15" horns on top you get the low reflex bass (and flexibility to use on their own) as well as the crazy chest pressure you get from small stacks of kick horns.
Don't test the champignon sound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>