Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rig for 300 ppl house/techno/disco parties

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2018 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

If you want to go 4 way later then putting some 15" horns or bandpass horns on top is a classic tried and tested solution that works very well at those size of gigs for house, techno and DnB. With 15" horns on top you get the low reflex bass (and flexibility to use on their own) as well as the crazy chest pressure you get from small stacks of kick horns.

This is what I do, for smaller gigs I use two or four single 18" reflex with a pair of 15+1" reflex on mid-top, then for the larger gigs I use the four single 18's with a pair of 18" BPH Turbosound style cabs on top of those and then a pair of horn loaded 12+1's on mid top. It's good because it allows the system to be built up in stages over time and allows huge flexibility in that you can do anything from a small pub gig with just a pair of 15+1's right up to bigger gigs covering a few hundred people with a 4 way system.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 6:22am
Yep, sounds similar to my favourite bass section in (probably less recent than it feels) recent years. That was ASS BS500s on top of big reflex. It can be tricky to get bass guitars to sound right through it without a lot of tweaking. Playing with the chamber damping in the horns seemed to help a huge amount.
Don't test the champignon sound
wilidapili View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

I will just stick this here.

It normally works out cheaper to buy older pro audio Kit than too Make from scratch.

For the size of rig you are looking at building for similar money you could just go out and buy something like.

6 x WS218X
4 x W8C

1550€ for a single second hand WS218X is a long way from being cheaper than DIY. Also, I don't think we have that good of a selection of second hand stuff here in Finland that we could find that stuff. The DIY aspect is very intriguing.

Edited by wilidapili - 23 August 2018 at 5:05pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 5:19pm

You've almost got the whole range of speakerplans responses now, lol. You've certainly got the right answer in there and more monkeys and typewriters than you could ever hope to use.

I'm with the 'build some nice reflex' faction. For the size of events you're proposing they just make sense as a starting point as they have the widest usable bandwidth.

If you want to go 4 way later then putting some 15" horns or bandpass horns on top is a classic tried and tested solution that works very well at those size of gigs for house, techno and DnB. With 15" horns on top you get the low reflex bass (and flexibility to use on their own) as well as the crazy chest pressure you get from small stacks of kick horns.

Hahah yeap. I'm pretty sure we'll be going with reflex, atleast for the subs, and 4way from the get go (HD15, USB, ES18...). For the subs, the Eighteen Sound dual 18" is really appealing: (http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_18_dual_subwoofer_kit.pdf).

18sound drivers seem to get a lot of praise, and since that cab is designed for an 18sound driver (18TLW3000), it seems like a good idea. I'm wondering if there is big differences between all the dual 18" cabs, such as G Sub etc. 
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 6:27pm
if you build a kick cab and BR Subs (meaning the kick has not go that low), i would strongly recommend the MKH230 to you, opposed to USB, ES18 etc which are designed to be used stand alone for some gigs. The MKH230 is MUCH tighter in the upper bass.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by corell corell wrote:

if you build a kick cab and BR Subs (meaning the kick has not go that low), i would strongly recommend the MKH230 to you, opposed to USB, ES18 etc which are designed to be used stand alone for some gigs. The MKH230 is MUCH tighter in the upper bass.

Thanks, will look into that! Also looking at Martin Audio 215 mk3.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 1:05am

Yep, sounds similar to my favourite bass section in (probably less recent than it feels) recent years. That was ASS BS500s on top of big reflex. It can be tricky to get bass guitars to sound right through it without a lot of tweaking. Playing with the chamber damping in the horns seemed to help a huge amount.

That's a typical example of not being phase aligned through crossover, right there.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 5:18am
Thanks for the pointer, when we dig them out again we'll have to try a more sophisticated alignment than we previously used.

With Martin 215mkIII you'll need to decide you're going that way before you build the reflex. Those cabs are extremely deep and very heavy at the back. If the subs aren't deep enough then the stack will be unstable. I've never had chance to hear any but they're meant to be one of the best.
Don't test the champignon sound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 7:46am

Thanks for the pointer, when we dig them out again we'll have to try a more sophisticated alignment than we previously used.

With Martin 215mkIII you'll need to decide you're going that way before you build the reflex. Those cabs are extremely deep and very heavy at the back. If the subs aren't deep enough then the stack will be unstable. I've never had chance to hear any but they're meant to be one of the best.

Thanks for the heads up. The 215mk3 is 6cm deeper than the 18sound dual 18” BR box.

Can one modify a BR box dimensions to better suit the dims of a MA215mk3 without compromising the sound too much? Or is the 6cm hang a non-issue, such a small hang..

Edited by wilidapili - 24 August 2018 at 11:46am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 7:16pm
Sooo, a small update on our rig. I have built one of the 18sound double 18" reflex boxes loaded with 18TLW3000, and one MA 215 Mk3 loaded with RCF MB15N401 (still need to fill screw holes and paint etc). Both of them still need grills. Also, we bought four Tannoy iQ10 tops (which are designed and made by Funktion One). We still need to design and build a stand(s) for the tops to get them higher on the stack, something functional and beautiful. Currently we are running the stack with an iNuke and some old Crest amp with biamp Nexia as DSP, but will invest in Powersoft when we get some dough in the future. Will also make more bins in the future, but this is version 1.0. 

Edited by wilidapili - 16 December 2018 at 7:19pm
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 7:55pm
Looking very sweet bro nice work ClapClapClapClap
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 6:25am
Hog scoops etc sub horns might be really problematic @ indoors. Needs much more attention than reflex system. 
For techno/house etc (we are playing that too!), indoors, go for proper reflex as has been told. 
You might be happy with RCF esw1018 style cab, loaded by RCF LF18G401 or 18sound 18LW2400.  Even single cab goes quite loud with proper amp (at least 1kWrms / sub). Very loud and punchy around 45Hz and up! 

I have one, as well as some bandpass designs, hog soops and so on.
For outdoor parties, i always prefer my hogs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>