Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8" Active Studio Monitor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8" Active Studio Monitor
    Posted: 18 August 2018 at 10:15am
Now I'm back working again I've got the opportunity to build a few of the designs I had the time to CAD when I was unemployed LOL

I've just ordered a pair of Fusion Amp FA123s and will be ordering a pair of Volt BM228.8s asap.

To follow will be a pair of Scan-Speak D2606/922000 with the plan to put together these:

Edited by vertx - 19 August 2018 at 5:40am
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2018 at 11:57am
Amps are here!

Edited by vertx - 28 August 2018 at 11:59am
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 10:49pm
A+
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 10:33am
Awesome! What freq have you tuned the ports to?

Please share your thoughts/opinion/experiences of the new Hypex's.
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 10:54am
Are you intending to add bracing? - would recommend some to push the panel resonances up to high enough frequency so as not to be affected by the 8".
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

Awesome! What freq have you tuned the ports to?

Please share your thoughts/opinion/experiences of the new Hypex's.

Will do. Only just got a Mini USB cable from work today (required for use with Hypex Filter Designer/Fusion Amps) so will maybe try give my Volt 8" coax a run with them to compare against matrix XT800 which I'm current running on them.

Volume is 23.4L, tuning is 43hz. Max vent velocity is 32 at 150w but down at 24 when xmax is exceeded anyway.

Just got a quote back for CNC so will be cracking on with this over the next few weeks!

Edited by vertx - 31 August 2018 at 11:00am
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 11:11am
Nice, I hadn't seen that the new Hypexs were out. Very trendy stuff.
Don't test the champignon sound
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Are you intending to add bracing? - would recommend some to push the panel resonances up to high enough frequency so as not to be affected by the 8".

Yeah I'll probably add some in, don't have any in the CNC plans but might just cut up a few bits as I go.

vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 1:05pm
Connected the FA123s to my existing Volts to do a bit of subjective comparison against my XCA28/Matrix XT800 I'm currently running for processing/amp combo.

Ran the FA123 CH1/2 in bridge into the 4ohm volts.

Plenty of headroom.
Less sub.
Better transients, tighter overall sound.
Very slightly more "essy", but could just be a more dry sound, less "warm" than the XT800.
Different stereo imaging, more depth, less width?

Sure the FA123 will do even better when bridged into an 8ohm load into the BM228.8's

Edited by vertx - 14 October 2018 at 11:46am
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 12:50pm
Got the parts back from CNC for this and another 8" cab I'm working on. Tweeters have arrived too.

Planning to glue and clamp only, no screws this time around. Hoping to have cabs together this weekend time allowing. Volt BM228.8 will probably be another 2 weeks.

vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 12:04pm
All parts arrived now. Will be getting stuck in this weekend weather allowing Smile

Edited by vertx - 14 October 2018 at 11:46am
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2018 at 11:01am
Busy weekend Smile

Had to run down to the hardware store to get some bigger clamps part way through gluing the first cab as my normal quick grips were too short LOL

Edited by vertx - 14 October 2018 at 11:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>