Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

21" Ported Horn design idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2018 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

Originally posted by Speaker Sol Speaker Sol wrote:

Have you checked out the Skhorn designed by the same designer as the othorn. 

Very interesting design, though the layout is different and its a double, it looks quite similar to your design. In terms of port and horn size .

It was designed around the Ipal but other drivers also look promising.

Yeah, yeah had read up on the other designs he has came up with, including the Skhorn. Obviously the big difference is that the Skhorn is a double 21" horn, and while it could be split in half and made into 2 singles, each single would be a little smaller than the one I've designed above and wouldn't go down quite so low or be quite so sensitive. But it's also a great design.

K

Thanks for the kind words.
I really enjoy the Skhorn sub and it was a long journey to get there and to this type of cabinet alignment using the newer types of long xmax, low Qts drivers. I eventually got frustrated with both FLH's and TH's size, folding and response limitations and found this type of design for the M.A.U.L. and Skhorn towards the end of 2014 as I recall.

If I might offer some advice...Make sure you are doing your simulations with complex Le or Le simming engaged in HR. Either will be more accurate than not.

Good luck with the cab design.
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 2:10am
anymore update on this project?
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by t.geessounds t.geessounds wrote:

anymore update on this project?

hey

as I said in the initial post, it was an idea that I was playing about with, but I'm realistically not gonna have the time to take it any further any time soon, hence putting the plans on here to allow someone else to run with it if they want.

K
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 3:52pm
A quick update on this plan for anyone that might be interested. 

Was discussing it on another forum we bounced about a few ideas, and there was a suggestion that making it an offset horn would put less strain on the driver. Modeling it up and considering a few possible layouts it actually seems like it's a better design this way, easier to construct at the very least. While I've tuned it slightly higher and it doesn't drop down quite as low as the other design, just about touching 30Hz at -3db is more than enough for the work I do (live music mostly) and think it's better overall. 

Another discussion was about port area. Around 400cm2 as is in this design (two 6" pipes) is about as big as you can go before starting to think about having to fold things, but people suggested it was very small for a big capable 21" driver such as the 21DS115. I'd like to ideally see a bigger area too, but it doesn't seem all THAT small when you compare it to other commercially available designs. Many of Void's designs use a series of 3 or 4 smaller pipes that give about the same, if not slightly less, port area, and things like Martin Audio's various ported horn designs also use ports that around the same size give or take. 

BassBox Pro, the program I most often use for reflex speaker design work, seems to think it's ok, and thinks that at 1700Hz, it's RMS, it'll only be pushing air at around 21m/s in the ports. You need to push the power up to over 5000w before you begin to hit what it considers the danger limit of 34 m/s.

I'd be interested on hearing people's thoughts on the port size, but I suppose it's something that can only really be answered for definite with a prototype and some testing, which I might try and do over the summer if I get a chance. 

I'm also not massively precious about the design. While I don't have any actual plans or cutsheets drawn up on paper, I'd be happy to zip up the solidworks file as it is for anyone who has access to that software, and they can get all the panel sizes and routing details and could have a go at a prototype if they wanted. 

(design is shown compared to the Othorn tapped horn in grey)

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 25 April 2019 at 10:35pm
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 10:06pm
A+
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:54pm
I don't have any experience with ported horns, but how do you think one per side would behave?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:12pm
Very similar concept to one I built for some 15" drivers quite a few years ago now.  Worked very well.  I had a bit more expansion on the flare so the mouth was almost all of the front of the cab.

Oddly I never managed to get a similar design to look good in simulation using an 18".
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:50pm
Out of interest, how was the excursion with the 15s around 50hz?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:38pm
Probably quite low because the port was tuned around 45Hz which would have controlled the excursion.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2019 at 7:26pm
Very very interesting design!!
Im No designer, but this is a design i could be tempted to have a go at. 

But when you mention port size and air velocity being on the edge, i do get some concerns.
But as you state, its getting a problem with 5kw of power. Thats alot of power! 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2019 at 12:23pm
if you are pushing the limits on port area then definitely use large flares at both ends to increase the max velocity you can use before it starts chuffing. if possible get the ports symetrical about the driver to minimise uneven loading. can't see in the pictures - have you used any throat adapter or is it just a circular hole the size of the diaphragm?
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2019 at 6:58pm
Just thinking loud.. What would happen if the round ports was replaced by a slot port? Would be very easy to make. But I must admit that round ports look sexy on this design :) 

Edited by FOO - 25 October 2019 at 7:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>