Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN XE 10000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PKN XE 10000
    Posted: 22 August 2018 at 10:26pm
Whats the verdict on the PKN XE 10000? Currently rebuilding my racks and this looks like a solid contender against other offerings or Powersoft, MC2, FFA etc.I’ve had experience with the XE 6000 but was left unimpressed with its performance on bass. I want to keep all the amps uniform, and not mix and match. I’d be powering F1 218s at 2.66. Any advice would be greatly welcome before I hand any cash over.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 10:33pm
I don't think anyone in England has actually seen one, never mind used one Ben. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 10:49pm
Blu Aran are selling them so presumably they must be in use?
RONAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 11:09pm
I have used the xe10000 and also sold some to customers.. one individual ordered one based on the experience he had running xe4000 & 6000 (4 years, four nights per week live band, without any issues).       Years ago I set up a demo comparing a powersoft k3 & k10 2 way system, with an xe4000/6000 system.. On that occasion the xe4000 sounded nicer on top but the 6000 reached clip limit long before the k10.. Not so sure now, I think the xe10000 will easily out perform the k10, especially if your driving 2 x 8ohm 18" drivers per side.
EVENT SOUND RON.
RONAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 11:17pm
one thing that did impress me about the pkn was , I had xe6000/xe10000 driving 4 x18" subs & 4 12"&1.5 horn tops, So both amps running roughly 4 ohms..  Flat out in a marquee live band the  kelsy amp meter on the rack distro never got over 8 amps !, most of the night around 6 .. How do you explain that ?
EVENT SOUND RON.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 11:30pm
Not a lover of Powersoft other than on bass duties as I find quite dry sounding, obvious choice would be e90s/e45s/e25s however the PKNs do sound very good so possible 10k/6k/4K rack combo would work depending on the 10k delivering. It’s priced quite respectabley too.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 12:00am
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

Blu Aran are selling them so presumably they must be in use?

Ben, I think that I'm thinking about the XE 10000U which I've never noticed as being in stock at Blue Aran.

Still would be nice to hear from someone in England to counteract my statement. Respect due still Ronan.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

Not a lover of Powersoft other than on bass duties as I find quite dry sounding, obvious choice would be e90s/e45s/e25s however the PKNs do sound very good so possible 10k/6k/4K rack combo would work depending on the 10k delivering. It’s priced quite respectabley too.

Have you had a good listen to the X series? i too never liked the sound of the K series on anything other than bass ( although bypassing the input A-D converters by using AES inputs helped a lot here), the X series sounds very smooth and hifi to me, and i suspect could be a very good option for F1.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 7:49pm
XE10000 is stronger than K10, it is more like the K20 on 4 Ohms. However it is 4 Ohms optimized amp so you should not go lower in load impedance if you want the best sound. It is proven to give decent headroom on 2* 8R (2500W..) woofers per channel.
Physical compare: It can deliver 210V or so to 4 Ohms load which is lot more than X series from Powersoft, also more than K10. The XE10000 has already bridged circuit (just like the XD and other XE PKN amps) which is better than Powersoft's single ended "half-bridged Class-D" circuits.
If you want to go bellow 4 Ohms go with Powersoft K10/K20, otherwise the XE10000 is better!

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 12:29am
It's better because you can't bridge it or go below 4 ohms without compromising the unit? Okay. Shame most '4 ohm nominal' systems dip below 4 ohms, regularly, eh? A bridged X4 can deliver 300v before clip, by the way. So if you compare apples to apples, considering the X4 is half bridge, you full bridge it and also have an amp that is aimed at 4 ohm usage. Plus a world class DSP and library of presets.

Edited by toastyghost - 25 August 2018 at 12:30am
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

It's better because you can't bridge it or go below 4 ohms without compromising the unit? Okay. Shame most '4 ohm nominal' systems dip below 4 ohms, regularly, eh? A bridged X4 can deliver 300v before clip, by the way. So if you compare apples to apples, considering the X4 is half bridge, you full bridge it and also have an amp that is aimed at 4 ohm usage. Plus a world class DSP and library of presets.

DSP does not solve the issue that Powersoft failed to exploit the advantages of three phase operation and they have put a *weak* undersized power supply into the X4. A 2KW power supply is simply NOT enough for a 20KW amp...
1. Here are the rectifier diodes of the power supply -- With very small heatsink => small heat dissipated because no serious current
2. There are very small fuses, 16A maybe? these fuses are not used in amplifier what can do 100A+ output, just check the K series with much beefier fuses.
3. There is minimal heatsinking of the amplifier parts because this amp can not do high crest factors.
We have measured it that time and I can confirm 4x ~470W capability instead of 4x ~5000W..  :-D

I see their bad modules sold with fancy DSP expensively, bit pity. Is not it?

X4 has around 190Joules / ch
XE10000 has 270Joules / ch

I uploaded this picture again because it mysteriously disappeared. I think that equipment shall be judged by its true physical construction and not based on marketing crap.

Edited by U.Viktor - 25 August 2018 at 7:35am
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2018 at 7:39am
I think that equipment should be judged by field testing and perhaps availability? Oddly enough, there’s a lot of these out there working real gigs week in week out with great results. Not only on our own shows.

What about volts? I thought speakers were voltage devices playing music? Unless you’re making the tea, milk and two for me.

Bigger numbers on a spec sheet is great, but it doesn’t put food on the table.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>