Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN XE 10000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

Yeah, I'm up for that. Amps I have around:

- Crown MA12000i, MA5002VZ
- Powersoft T604, T602, T304
- Various Behringer

Let me know where and when.

Chris

Call it Manchester with plenty of notice, and I can probably add K20, X4/X8, MC2 Delta, Linea 44M20 and maybe even an XTA APA into the pot, plus some subs that can take the juice

I've also got the tools to take frequency response and distortion measurements out the arse of the amps.

Edited by toastyghost - 02 December 2019 at 4:53pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

So I've taken the plunge and purchased a XE10000 from BluAran.  If anyone fancies setting up a good old fashion amp shoot out let me know. 

got the MK1 SAE PQM13 and another more recent version.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 5:14pm
Please do this..  Just find some big labG too please!
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

Yeah, I'm up for that. Amps I have around:

- Crown MA12000i, MA5002VZ
- Powersoft T604, T602, T304
- Various Behringer

Let me know where and when.

Chris

Up for that Kyle. Pm me with some dates maybe. 

I'd be looking to A/B amps with similar output and design. 

Anyone that's interested ill get back with a date and we can take it from there. 

Call it Manchester with plenty of notice, and I can probably add K20, X4/X8, MC2 Delta, Linea 44M20 and maybe even an XTA APA into the pot, plus some subs that can take the juice

I've also got the tools to take frequency response and distortion measurements out the arse of the amps.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 3:16pm
Be aware that PKN has + and - outputs both live, need to have proper "balanced HV probes"  << Not very common!
Otherwise huge fire is guaranteed :-D

our Martin SUBs got new life when driving with XE10000 (after the 6000 amps)
even not going with Voltage above ~170V set on the internal limiters of the amp.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Be aware that PKN has + and - outputs both live, need to have proper "balanced HV probes"  << Not very common!
Otherwise huge fire is guaranteed :-D

our Martin SUBs got new life when driving with XE10000 (after the 6000 amps)
even not going with Voltage above ~170V set on the internal limiters of the amp.

Not interested in bench tests, we're driving speakers, not banks of copper in a bucket of water.

You can measure the frequency response of an amplifier including DSP performance - if the amp has it - quite easily using a decent transformer network, and I have a dedicated device for this, as well as easy tapping of output voltage using a TrueRMS meter for devices that don't offer built-in impedance tracking.

It's also much better to use a calibrated RTA platform and SPL measurement with an adjusted input stimulus to ensure that the same amount of voltage gain / multiplier is being applied.

That makes it much easier to compare the 'tone' of an amp rather than getting into a pissing contest of pure loudness. That can of course be done, to see which amp is able to deliver the most peak and long-term SPL by using simple Leq measurements as well as peak hold.

I can also track current draw to see roughly how efficient each unit is, although this is a place that you can generally trust the manufacturer's data if they're a decent company. You don't sell hundreds of amps to proper installs without thermal dissipation and current draw data...
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 7:34pm
Please proceed with this test so we can once and for all end this pkn debate hahaha,  seriously genuinely interested in the results even a bit hyped Big smile
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 8:56pm
So the amp turned up today. Had a quick play with it, single 18" reflex loaded with PD184. Sounded really good, better than a 6000 which I find quite untonal. Appears to be plenty of power available. Obviously this needs to be tested properly and compared to similar amps but on first impressions I'm happy with it. Just waiting on Kyle to get back to me with a date. 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2019 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by boots-hifi boots-hifi wrote:

So the amp turned up today. Had a quick play with it, single 18" reflex loaded with PD184. Sounded really good, better than a 6000 which I find quite untonal. Appears to be plenty of power available. Obviously this needs to be tested properly and compared to similar amps but on first impressions I'm happy with it. Just waiting on Kyle to get back to me with a date. 

In all honesty it’s going to be January, and then in our new spot perhaps whilst it’s a building site. Otherwise March. Lots on!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2019 at 1:19pm
Happy to do an a/b in a venue before if anybody has any ideas.  
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 4:40pm
I can do early January, but later on that month could be tricky. March would probably be better.

Here's the list of amps we've (probably) got available so far:
- Powersoft - T304, T604, T602, K20, X4, X8
- MC2 Delta
- Linea 44M20
- PKN XE10000
- Crown - MA12000i, MA5002VZ
- SAE PQM13

Should be an interesting day.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 6:33pm
Depending on timing I can add a updated sae pcm 20 (what ben at elements audio is selling as the ck 26,) and a matrix xt6004 if anyone is interested.  I'd like to see how the ck26 compares to the pkn. 

Suggest we run it all from a wonky old genny just to keep the speakerplans spirit alive. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>