Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&C 8PE21 horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 11:02pm
I agree totally with all of the compliments above as it does seem ages since we had an epic build on here---But(theres always a but) I just had a thought that it may have been easier to make a jig and make them out of fibreglass, especially if more are going to be required in the future.
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 11:08pm
Quality work there! 
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 12:05am
Maybe fibre glass would of made sense, but let’s face it if you can produce wood work at this standard its an art form. I’d love to hear them!

Edited by boots-hifi - 26 January 2019 at 12:21am
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 10:14am
Top skills, love a biscuit or two!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
catalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 6:10pm
Hi everyone!
Most of my knowledge abaut sound sistems is from Speakerplans Forum,important is not to rush things,be patient and know your limits
Allso is important to understand what you are doing , building something without know how is working is nonsens to me

And,yes,great people araund here which share their knowledge (sometimes with to much patience!)
Speakerplans is the place to be!!
Thank youSmile!!

catalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 4:46pm
Sunday playSmile

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 5:01pm
When I made horns like this years ago, I had a lot of trouble with the calculations for the compound mitre angles on the flare pieces. I didn't get it quite right and ended up with small gaps. Could you possibly explain how you worked them out?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
catalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 5:29pm
Well,yes ,it is tricky,it was more like test and try
I had to sacrifice few bits of ply ,till i get it right
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

When I made horns like this years ago, I had a lot of trouble with the calculations for the compound mitre angles on the flare pieces. I didn't get it quite right and ended up with small gaps. Could you possibly explain how you worked them out?

One possibility is to cut slightly oversize and do the final trimming with a well tuned hand plane. You would be amazed at the amount of accuracy you get with a little bit of practice!
luthier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luthier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 7:15pm
I often cut compound mitres with my ts55 track saw, hand planes have their place, but they're not practical time wise if you're making multiples. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

you can calculate them using trignometry and I have done so in the past. I can't quite explain it without drawing it all out though - it involves multiplying the angles by cos or sin of the flare angles. there's a calculator on this page under 'general compound angles 2'

edit:
for a square horn the bevel=45-(((invsin(cosAcosB))/2)

how you do it for a horn with more than four sides I can't quite get my head round

Edited by snowflake - 27 January 2019 at 9:23pm
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 3:54am
It's near impossible with a hand circular saw. They only bevel one way and it's always the wrong way. Cutting perfect matching panels near impossible. I am sure a few can do it.
The best way is to make an angled cut off jig for the table saw. You can get exactly matching panels. But yes it does always take a bit of trial and error.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>