Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tapped horn for Infra - Paid project for someone?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tapped horn for Infra - Paid project for someone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Beast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tapped horn for Infra - Paid project for someone?
    Posted: 24 September 2018 at 1:30am
Originally posted by PavelP PavelP wrote:

I think it's a very interesting story how did McCauley speaker appeared in England...
It was a challenge procuring 4 units. British customs like to add lots of import duties. But there is no similar driver available from anyone else. It's a unicorn.:)
Beast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 1:26am
Hi Guys. Thanks for your comments. Sorry - I'd missed all these comments since this sub forum is so low down the list.

On paper the driver is not suitable for horn use, however in real life the driver is happy in just about anything. It's a driver that has seen use in some very challenging cabinets, including the old Bassmaxx cabinets (which were an unorthadox FLH with rear of driver exposed to the air (no compression chamber) and the throat opening not at the beginning of the horn - some of this design philosophy is shared with a TH).

@Chris Grimshaw. Thanks for your offer. I'll take you up on your offer. Please pm me with your proposed fee. a price for the design work, and a price for an assembled single cabinet ready to accept a driver + hardware (see below regarding hardware requirements)    It's important that response is relatively flat up to 70-80hz.

For size/shape - main priority is that the width is kept to 574mm external. external height should be 1066mm
depth can be up to 2132mm external (but please design the foldings to accommodate for a split line to allow the unit to be split in two parts and fixed together using flight case style butterfly locks that pull the two sections together). Assuming you used the full 2132mm depth allowance then the unit will be made up of two sectiosn the exact same size as the Martin WSX, allowing standard truck packing. That said, since I only have 4 of these drivers I'll only ever make 4 cabinets. I wouldn't need exclusivity on the design so once your time has been paid for, the plan can be made public should any other 6174 driver users want to build an esoteric cabinet.

To clarify, this is not a commercial venture - It's a personal project and I simply do not have the knowledge regarding TH design so wanted to pass on this crack pot project to someone who fancies a non standard project. Cheers:)

PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 6:51pm
I think it's a very interesting story how did McCauley speaker appeared in England...
For 19Hz it's better to use this driver in BP4 and i think it's the only way with qts=0.35 and low Bl. How many do you have? Just a quick scetch: 250L in ported chamber + port s=340cm2 l=50cm and 90L in speaker chamber.

Edited by PavelP - 19 September 2018 at 10:27pm
Volnovod audio https://vk.com/kb_volnovod
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 12:48pm
Had a little look at this
Firstly the parameters listed for the driver are not the complete Thiele small data.
Trawling around the net trying to find consistent data is not that easy for some reason.
After coming up with a best guess of the parameters needed to run a sim in Hornresp it is apparent that this driver is not very happy in a tapped horn. Putting the driver in My Xoc1 TH18 for instance has a large dip in the pass band centered around 80hz indicating a driver with a lower BL.
Increasing the size & path length to lower the response does not work very well either.
I can get a reasonable response by using a reverse taper down to 22hz but its inefficient
The speaker seems far happier in a large reflex box. You should try to balance the size and extension against the power handing. Trying to get 19Hz will result in a speaker that will be displacement limited instead of power limited.Tuning the speaker a bit higher will increase the power handling and efficiency.

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 10:13pm
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. BL of 18.2 dosen't cry out 'put me in a horn'. Is it a very low impedence driver?

Looks like a pretty cool driver though with rather unique parameters. Maybe a big monitor sub driver for a studio or bonkers HiFi?
Don't test the champignon sound
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:55pm
doesnt look like a suitable driver for THs..
large reflex maybe..
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Hmm, a huge TH that will go down to 19Hz? That will be very inefficient box for the size and will not even remotely keep up with the tops.

^ This
It's everything, not everythink!
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:31am
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Hmm, a huge TH that will go down to 19Hz? That will be very inefficient box for the size and will not even remotely keep up with the tops.

It's true that you'll get much more output per cubic foot by going for 40Hz extension, but if very-low-frequency output is a requirement, I'm sure something can be worked out.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 9:15am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 8:45am
Hey Beast,

I'd be interested in doing the design work for you.

Here's a quick video of my latest PA system - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXuV-Cl0hmI
Which is as follows:
1x 2x10"+HF mid-high boxes (designed and built by yours truly)
2x 1x15" subwoofers (collaborative design with tb46 on diyAudio)
Per side
In this video, the whole thing is running off a single 13A mains supply, and putting out 85dBC-slow (when you analyse the track, that's 103dBC peaks) at the camera position, around 280' from the stacks.

As you can see, it's quite a lot of sound from something that'll fit into a medium-sized car.

The T/S parameters you've listed suggest something that could go exceptionally low, but will need huge cabinets to do it. Getting it to run smoothly up to 80Hz will be an interesting challenge.
I'll have a play around with Hornresp and see what looks good. Is there a particular form-factor you'd prefer? Tall and skinny, roughly cube shaped, flat and wide..?

Cheers,
Chris
Beast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2018 at 10:56am
Hi Guys.

I have the following driver:-

McCauley 6174 18"
FS: 19.8hz
VAS: 733L
MMS: 200grams
91db/1w/1m
BL: 18.7T/M
QTS: 0.3535
PWR: 800AES
XMAX: 15.2mm

It's a very interesting driver and one which I think will do very well in a TH for infra bass duties. I'd love a large TH to be designed, that will take full advantage of the very desirable driver qualities and yield good response down to driver resonance or below. The cabinet can be as big as required, and ideally designed to allow a split so the cabinet can be taken apart into two pieces for easy transporation and butterfly latched together in situ. It'll be used singularly in combination with 2x triple 12" reflex boxes (jbl 2206h loaded) and JBL 2450 2" comps + bullets. Playing from 80hz down.

I'm based in Bristol and am happy to pay for a design and find a suitable builder, or pass on the design and build to you directly.   Please let me know if you're keen and please link to previous projects you've worked on.   

Many thanks

Post Reply Post Reply