Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lab Gruppen 2000C for home use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 7:18pm
nah. you've got to actually engage!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by wires wires wrote:

you need 10 posts minimum for pms I believe.

My missus has never posted on here and...  
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 7:34pm
Put the amps in the cellar on remote power and drill some holes in the floorboards?
Don't test the champignon sound
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 7:50pm
water cooling?

Heat pipes?

If youre running low volume then why use pa gear? Surely hifi amps fulfil your requirements perfectly?
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 8:54pm
Change the fans to more silent models, quite many available these days as propeller design has improved over last years.

Then there is sometimes possibilty for push-pull cooling with twice amount of fans, depending on amp design. In push pull arrangement you choose fans with half the cfm capability (these models produce much less noise compared to a single fan with twice the cfm rating) and put other of said fans to push air inside and other one sucking hot air outside.

Also if possible do not mount protective grilles straight to fan frame but use some tubing in 20-30mm in length and longer screws to separate the grill from the immediate vicinity of the moving fan blades.

These have helped me. I made push pull once to a Crest 9001 and used empty butchered fan frames as grill separator ;)
torturing electrons since ......
headphones1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headphones1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

water cooling?

Heat pipes?

If youre running low volume then why use pa gear? Surely hifi amps fulfil your requirements perfectly?
because of the sound quality and value?
also might build a subwoofer one day

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headphones1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2018 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by AndyWave AndyWave wrote:

Change the fans to more silent models, quite many available these days as propeller design has improved over last years.

Then there is sometimes possibilty for push-pull cooling with twice amount of fans, depending on amp design. In push pull arrangement you choose fans with half the cfm capability (these models produce much less noise compared to a single fan with twice the cfm rating) and put other of said fans to push air inside and other one sucking hot air outside.

Also if possible do not mount protective grilles straight to fan frame but use some tubing in 20-30mm in length and longer screws to separate the grill from the immediate vicinity of the moving fan blades.

These have helped me. I made push pull once to a Crest 9001 and used empty butchered fan frames as grill separator ;)
thats an idea, quality fan isnt very cheap but it seems like the best idea 
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 5:52am
no need on lab gruppen,

they use very high quality NMB fans which are already as quiet as you will get for their CFM
the air filters / grilles are already widely separated from the fans, grills are on front face of amp, fans are positioned in the centre.

TBH, you can find some very high quality convection cooled PA and hifi amplifiers for the same or less budget than a lab gruppen - perhaps one of the old / small Citronic PPX or HH electronic amplifiers - i have a PPX150 here which is convection cooled, single pair of output transistors per channel ( so no matching errors) and sounds lovely on my ATC monitors at home. you can pick them up for £50-100....and no mucking around. Anything remotely "hifi" and new with that component and build quality would cost the wrong side of £1000 new.

Edited by csg - 22 September 2018 at 5:53am
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote headphones1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

no need on lab gruppen,

they use very high quality NMB fans which are already as quiet as you will get for their CFM
the air filters / grilles are already widely separated from the fans, grills are on front face of amp, fans are positioned in the centre.

TBH, you can find some very high quality convection cooled PA and hifi amplifiers for the same or less budget than a lab gruppen - perhaps one of the old / small Citronic PPX or HH electronic amplifiers - i have a PPX150 here which is convection cooled, single pair of output transistors per channel ( so no matching errors) and sounds lovely on my ATC monitors at home. you can pick them up for £50-100....and no mucking around. Anything remotely "hifi" and new with that component and build quality would cost the wrong side of £1000 new.
my country doesn't have many amplifier selections on the second-hand market, the fact there is Gruppen amp for sale is nothing short of amazingLOL

actually, I have somewhat similar speakers to ATC (morel 3" dome midrange).
tbh, I'm trying to climb much higher on sound quality of the 1K£ area, I want something that can leave dust to "hi-fi dedicated" amplifiers even in the 2-3K area (please don't get into the complexity of what is "value~sound is, just note it should be very nice sounding amp lol), I'm in the right place to ask for such quality? or even the Gruppen 2000c won't give me such sound quality?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 9:45pm
well, thats exactly it isn't it - sound quality is a very subjective thing and pseudo independent from cost. my reference amplifier is a 40 year old trio / kenwood KA907 which is worth maybe £500-1000 on the market, but to my ears it eats anything else i've ever tried for lunch, and through my work i have access to some very expensive PA hardware.

If you like the lab, then great, get it. can i tell you it will have £2-3000 sound quality - no, off course not, thats down to your and what you like. from an engineering POV there is a lot of merit in using a PA amplifier for hifi duty and expecting it to do well - and off course the lack of hifi "snake oil" is quite refreshing...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 9:52pm
Screw all of that... get yourself either a clone or an very old school quad 
 405!

Great sounding amp.. no need for fans and it's an old BUT widely used design that will last a life time (even if slightly abused)

You can't hear the money coming out the speakers when you pay £1000 for it so why not spend £100 on a very tried and very very tested design?

Just my 2 pence worth

Edited by mini-mad - 23 September 2018 at 2:06am
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2018 at 10:59pm
  Regarding running a pa amp with no fans, one of the fans in one of my Matrix STR's died and I don't know how long it hadn't been working for but I didn't find out until I stuck my hand on the front of the amp mid gig to find it running very hot and at that point, for a few hours, it had been and still was absolutely belting it out on bass, in a living room I doubt it would have even got hot running without fans.
 As Mr Minimad says above though, I would just get some old class A beast and have done with it. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>