Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bridge 3 of 4 channels?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bridge 3 of 4 channels?
    Posted: 23 September 2018 at 12:40pm
Hi guys, perhaps a weird question..
Many manufactures spec their 4ch amps bridgeable as either 1+2 and 3+4 and 1+2+3+4 but is safe to assume that you can bridge only 1+2+3 to woofers and use the ch4 for HF? (off course assuming you have the impedance load on the save side)
Thanks in advance,

Fred
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2018 at 2:40pm
I’ve never heard of an amp where you can bridge 3 out of the 4 channels together. The point of bridging amp channels together is so that one channel amplifies half the signal, the other channel amplifies the other half, doubling the voltage swing and multiplying power output by 4, assuming impedance stays constant. I’ve no idea how this topology would work with 3 amp channels. What are you trying to achieve with your setup? A few more details are needed.
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2018 at 4:18pm
The only amps I know of that allow a combination of 3 channels to be connected to the same load (though not technically bridged however: as TMH says, that's quite a specific type of connection) are QSC's PLD series, FWIW.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2018 at 4:50pm
Chip amps... the TDAxxxx range of chip amps allow you to PARALLEL amps together for higher output but these are low power chips. I've got a 3x TDAxxxx amp board that outputs about 200w (3x68w) into an 8ohm load and if I just keep adding these in PARALLEL they just add to the output.

I don't know of any PA power amps that do it myself but it certainly isn't BRIDGING an amp by any stretch of the word.

Edited by mini-mad - 23 September 2018 at 4:51pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
FrederikMA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2018 at 7:07pm
Thank you for correcting my misuse of the word "bridging".
I forgot to specify that it was with regards to plate amps.
The motivation was to use a 4ch amp to drive dual woofer 2way tops, with similar headroom on the CD and the woofers. Many 4ch bridgeable or asymmetric 2ch amps are good for driving asymmetric loads like this, but most will clip considerable earlier on the woofer section than the HF. Never having seen such a configuration specified I was skeptic it was possible, but it would certainly be worth asking if one could have a 3:1 asymmetri rather than the usual 1:2.
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 9:47am
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

The only amps I know of that allow a combination of 3 channels to be connected to the same load (though not technically bridged however: as TMH says, that's quite a specific type of connection) are QSC's PLD series, FWIW.

Lab.Gruppen PLM and D series have this feature also (before QSC PLD even existed), similar technology can also be found in Bose Powershare amplifiers.

But this is not to be confused with 'bridging channels', as TS is refering to. The technology in above amplifiers allows you to allocate the available output power of each amplifier channel. Which is absolutely brilliant and really useful in my opinion.
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

Lab.Gruppen PLM and D series have this feature also (before QSC PLD even existed), similar technology can also be found in Bose Powershare amplifiers.

Far enough out of my league, and uncommon enough in my area respectively that I'd not been aware of them having that feature before now.
Good to know though, so thanks Thumbs Up
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 1:40pm
What Crown call "Parallel Mono". Definitely not bridge.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply