Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn design questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn design questions
    Posted: 03 October 2018 at 12:06pm
Hi
I have now begun the seemingly herculean task of designing and building my own folded horn for the V18-1000. I am aiming for it to reach 35hz in groups of 4 with as much SPL as possible playing Drum N Bass, Tekno and other kinds of rave music. Size is not too much of an issue for me so am prepared to make it very large as I understand this is what it will take to design an awesome horn. However my masses of research has raised a few questions I cannot find answers to. Firstly, I understand the contour I want to be using is exponential but I am confused as to how to actually design the folding in this shape as all the types of contour seem very similar when comparing actual horn designs. How do I know for certain that it is expanding at an exponential rate? Secondly, has anyone used this calculator:
Upon putting in my specifications it has given me some rather interesting results.  

The Mouth Area :

7687 cm2

The Throat Area:

1230 cm2

Compression Chamber Volume :

67.34 liters

Horn Lenght :

4.9142857142857 m

I'm assuming these params are to be shared across the four horns but even still, 76 metres seems like an immense and impossible mouth size! Can someone clear this up?
Thanks in advance
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 12:47pm
No - that´s about 88cm a side (for a square, for example). It´s a squared number, so take the square root to get an idea of linear size.

EDIT:

You can obviously turn it into a rectangle by lengthening one side and proportionally shortening the other!

Edited by Earplug - 03 October 2018 at 12:50pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by junoprobelaunch junoprobelaunch wrote:

Hi
I have now begun the seemingly herculean task of designing and building my own folded horn for the V18-1000. I am aiming for it to reach 35hz in groups of 4 with as much SPL as possible playing Drum N Bass, Tekno and other kinds of rave music. Size is not too much of an issue for me so am prepared to make it very large as I understand this is what it will take to design an awesome horn. However my masses of research has raised a few questions I cannot find answers to. Firstly, I understand the contour I want to be using is exponential but I am confused as to how to actually design the folding in this shape as all the types of contour seem very similar when comparing actual horn designs. How do I know for certain that it is expanding at an exponential rate? Secondly, has anyone used this calculator:
Upon putting in my specifications it has given me some rather interesting results.  

The Mouth Area :

7687 cm2

The Throat Area:

1230 cm2

67.34 liters

Horn Lenght :

4.9142857142857 m

I'm assuming these params are to be shared across the four horns but even still, 76 metres seems like an immense and impossible mouth size! Can someone clear this up?
Thanks in advance

Last question first, and easiest - that's the mouth area not any of its linear dimensions, so not too scary - remember area = width x height, so if you made it square it'd be 88cm per side. If you went for a conventional rectangular mouth you could have it around 110 x 70cm.

<Edit> - Ha! I took so long with the rest of the post that someone beat me to it & answered this already!

Next, I haven't used that calculator so I can't tell you if it means that's the area for all 4 drivers or just one. Did you input the TS values for one driver or four?
However, looking at the general values, I think it might be just one.

And to make sure your plan matches the target expansion rate, you'd simply calculate the required area at regular intervals down the length of the horn, and make sure your plan matches those values. (Any decent horn calculator will do that first part for you Wink )

Oh, and rather than trust a calculator like that, I'd be much happier using Hornresp.

Here's a prediction of the sensitivity of a block of 4 horns with the V18-1000, driven with one Watt split between all 4 drivers. Each box would be very approximately 1200 wide, 750mm high and 900mm deep, so about 40% bigger than a WSX. (NB: This was just a quick play, so I'm quite sure someone else will be along with something better in a bit - particularly as I haven't even attempted to explore tapped options etc yet.)

HTH,
David.

Edited by DMorison - 03 October 2018 at 1:21pm
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 1:29pm
I've had a play with the calculator:
  • It's for a back loaded horn a.k.a. scoop not a front loaded horn
  • It goes for an 1/2 wavelength horn, instead of 1/4 wavelength
  • By playing with Performance/ bandwidth or the Coefficient of spatial location you can alter the throat, chamber volume and mouth area
I think it's a nice tool if you know what you're doing, if you don't know what you're doing you could easily f**k it up.

Johan
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

No - that´s about 88cm a side (for a square, for example). It´s a squared number, so take the square root to get an idea of linear size.

EDIT:

You can obviously turn it into a rectangle by lengthening one side and proportionally shortening the other!

I see, was aware it was a square but even still 76 seemed huge! 88 a side isn't bad at all though, especially when adjusted for a rectangle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Hi

The Mouth Area :

7687 cm2

The Throat Area:

1230 cm2

67.34 liters

Horn Lenght :

4.9142857142857 m

Thanks in advance

Last question first, and easiest - that's the mouth area not any of its linear dimensions, so not too scary - remember area = width x height, so if you made it square it'd be 88cm per side. If you went for a conventional rectangular mouth you could have it around 110 x 70cm.

<Edit> - Ha! I took so long with the rest of the post that someone beat me to it & answered this already!

Next, I haven't used that calculator so I can't tell you if it means that's the area for all 4 drivers or just one. Did you input the TS values for one driver or four?
However, looking at the general values, I think it might be just one.

And to make sure your plan matches the target expansion rate, you'd simply calculate the required area at regular intervals down the length of the horn, and make sure your plan matches those values. (Any decent horn calculator will do that first part for you Wink )

Oh, and rather than trust a calculator like that, I'd be much happier using Hornresp.

Here's a prediction of the sensitivity of a block of 4 horns with the V18-1000, driven with one Watt split between all 4 drivers. Each box would be very approximately 1200 wide, 750mm high and 900mm deep, so about 40% bigger than a WSX. (NB: This was just a quick play, so I'm quite sure someone else will be along with something better in a bit - particularly as I haven't even attempted to explore tapped options etc yet.)

HTH,
David.

Hi mate thanks this helps alot! Did input the params for just one but like you said, it would appear it's time to learn to use hornresp! Wish me luck haha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

I've had a play with the calculator:
  • It's for a back loaded horn a.k.a. scoop not a front loaded horn
  • It goes for an 1/2 wavelength horn, instead of 1/4 wavelength
  • By playing with Performance/ bandwidth or the Coefficient of spatial location you can alter the throat, chamber volume and mouth area
I think it's a nice tool if you know what you're doing, if you don't know what you're doing you could easily f**k it up.

Johan

Thanks man that was a good save lol! As stated this is my very first attempt of designing a horn so like the above said is probably better to move to hornresp.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 6:24pm
Sorry to re-start a dead thread but have been doing alot of reading and now actually attempting to draw up some plans. im having trouble determining my flare rate. I understand that each area of my horn must meet the target expansion rate (exponential in this case) but I am unsure what the target expansion rate is for the exponential horn or even how it is expressed. My other weird question is this: how do i define when one section of my horn ends and another begins? My guess would be that another begins with each expanding panel but seen as most horns have way more than 4 and this is the maximum number of segments hornresp allows, this can't be right.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 8:08pm
Exponential expansion means surface is proportional to e^x. So if you know start and finishing surface those will be equal to e^x. Now knowing resaults of e^x you can determine x start and x end of this horn segment. The difference will be proportional to your segment length + x start.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 10:26pm
where do the values of e and x represent? what do you mean by surface? (cross-sectional area?)
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 10:40pm

surface? (cross-sectional area?)
Yes.
e is mathematical/physical constant.
x is just function variable in function e^x. It represents length so basicly your exp12 value.

Maybe using different words:
The whole trick is to find how to scale e^x so it will spit out the values of cross sectional areas. Than x's will be proportional to lengths(exp12) values only moved by start value.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2018 at 12:32am
If you truly have an exponential horn, you only need one segment in Hornresp. When building the actual cabinet you're going to use multiple parallel segments (flat pieces of wood), to approximate an exponential horn flare. Just get it ballpark right.

Schematic Diagram - File - Export - Horn Data

Exports things such as cross-sectional area per chosen increment (down the horn path). Put these values in a 3D program such as Sketchup, to get the actual horn layout.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>