Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are Naphon amps any good for subs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 1:58pm
Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

Originally posted by Jack_The_Ripper Jack_The_Ripper wrote:

Are you running each proline in 4ohm bridge?

No but if the Prolines definately won't last years and years and years I might have to g
et rid of the ones i've got and buy four used QSC RMX2450, EV P2000 or maybe two more QSC RMX4050HD and bridge them into 4 ohms. I already have two RMX4050HD that are in absolutely mint condition that I used one for my dj montors and one for my mid/highs. 

Sounds like your replacing a fairly reliable amp with a fairly reliable amp.

Unless you go for inf8 or lightweight equivalent I wouldn't bother. Those proline will sell for £350+ in a day or so

Yeah but I can't afford the Infinite 8mkII.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:02pm
I'd keep the prolines then! At least with 2 you will likely have redundancy to finish the gig and each in 4ohm bridge will be more than enough power.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:04pm
Is there a way to make the Proline 3000 amps more reliable? I did read on here that people getting SAE CA series amps and upgrading certain components to make them reliable while still outputting the big power they output. 
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 3:31pm
Nothing majorly wrong with the Proline when driven correctly, however if you run it into clip you WILL kiss your drivers goodbye fairly quickly.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 3:51pm

My subs are dual 18" RCF L18P300 loaded EV QRX218 custom copies powered by a Proline 3000 each (which i've seen on the internet has been bench tested to output about 1,900 rms per channel 4 ohms) but i'm worried they aren't gonna be long time reliable so I asked about Naphon.

How many of these 2x18s Subs do you need to drive?
What type of music do you play?
Do you play in many different venues?
What type of mains power do you normally have access to in venues (13A plugs, 32A 1PH ceeforms, 3PH)?

If you only have a pair of 2x18 cabs, 1x Crown MA5000VZ, 1x QSC 5050 will power both, no problem. Both can be found for £750.  Both ultra reliable, and much lighter than 2x Prolines or 2x 4050HDs.

CA18 really requires very very decent mains supply, to perform
You could sell 2x 4050HDs, for approx £1k, put £200 on top, and get an Infinite 8MK2, with very little hassle.
Even more power, than the Crown or the QSC 5050.

£1200 would probably also get you MC2E45, Crown Itech 8000, QSC PL380.

All very capable lightweights, at 4 ohm stereo, for mainstream music.

Edited by levyte357- - 10 October 2018 at 3:52pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 4:40pm
I've got four double 18" subs loaded with RCF L18P300 drivers, I play very highly compressed techno with barely any crest factor and also drum & bass which seems to have a better dynamic range to be honest.

The venues are always halls but occasionally a pub venue and all have 13A/240V wall sockets on probably a 16A circuit I should think but i'm guessing. In halls I always use all four subs and run my system to it's max (without clipping of course). I'd rather keep the RMX4050HD amps because if I sell them i'll then need to find and afford a new dj monitor amp and a new mid/high amp, that's what I use the RMX4050HD for.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 3:15am

How come? I know some say they're brilliant on subs, Levyte said they're unreliable, maybe they're a 50/50 whether you get a good one. Are the Proline 3000 the most reliable of the cheap Chinese amps that people class as good for sub? 

I bought it off the hype. Had no cone control, drivers flappin around but no real levels/spl. Also didnt have a good tone. Sold mine to field frequency. Also engineered a friends set on the dub scene with his one and it didnt sound gd at all and again not enough spl even tho the drivers were moving alot. Used so called lesser cheaper amps with much better results. 
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 7:40am

The hype around prolines is a dangerous thing - I got sucked in - tried to be as careful as could be - blew 4 1850's - could have bought an inf8 for the price of the recones - never again

100% true
It's everything, not everythink!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 8:34am
I'm hoping to get myself a Cloud CX335 soon but I guess that even itself is not enough to protect from clipping if the Proline 3000 is such a dangerous ampliifer to drivers. I got a quote from SAE China for CA20 amps which are around my maximum afforable budget are they more reliable and safer? Although I think someone on here told me they're not reliable either and only the MA series are, which I wouldn't be able to afford. I'd still be using the Cloud CX335 before my Driverack PA2 but next year i'm gonna save and get myself either a used XTA DP226 or a Driverack Venu360. Supposedly bothg have much better sound quality than my Driverack PA2 and much better limiting with both having 'RMS' and 'Peak' limiters.

Edited by Jack_The_Ripper - 11 October 2018 at 8:49am
Old king coles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old king coles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:51pm
I use an sae pxm1450 for sub duty and it's never missed a beat! Heavy amp though and I've seen 2nd hand go for around £450

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2018 at 12:57pm
I wish I could find some but i've never seen them used and I would need two in the next 4 weeks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>