Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying budget subwoofers for mobile DJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying budget subwoofers for mobile DJ
    Posted: 10 October 2018 at 2:29pm
Hi all it's my first post here.

I am in the process of weighing up some budget subwoofers for usage as a mobile DJ. I don't want anything over 40kg as it's just me setting up and sometimes need to carry them upstairs or to difficult areas where I can't take wheels (over gravel etc).

I have been comtemplating between the following:

The box Pro DSP - Very little reviews or info available on these budget subs at £310 each.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_dsp_18_sub.htm

BAX store - Devine Onyx 18SA 18-inch active subwoofer. Look reasonable again little info, SPL "looks" good £427 each.
https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/active-subwoofer/devine-onyx-18sa-18-inch-active-subwoofer-2400w?q=onyx

Bishopsound - beta 18 1000w RMS - I have seen the comments here, 18" drivers seem reasonable for price. £450 each.
https://bishopsound.com/bundles/2x-beta-18-active-powered-subwoofers-1000w-rms

Tempted by "the box" as I have a pair of The Box PA502a which are excellent and are far better than my alto TS215.
I am currently using a pair of ALTO truesonic TS215S which to be fair are a bit weak.
Have also had a pair of Studiomaster drive 15SA which were even weaker that the alto and contained icepower 300asc and 2 ohm drivers!

Any advice on the above or other products that are below £500gbp and 40kg per cabinet would be great, thanks!

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 6:40pm
I cant speak for the other makes, but I have used "The Box" range by Thomann several times before and have found they gave good performance, looked smart, and were good value for money.

I am slightly concerned though, that you are considering lifting items up to 40kg up stairs for example, on your own, on a regular basis.

I am not young anymore, nor particularly strong. However, having been on   a couple of safety courses regarding lifting technique, I would suggest that 30kg would be a more sensible maximum.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 9:40pm
Having your boxes passive cuts down on weight A LOT. Would you consider DIY? A pair if THAM12 do a good job and are very compact. Stick a handle on the side of each and you could do one in each hand...

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
White Noise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Noise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2018 at 11:05pm
Hi Kahrds,

I dont post on here much, but I saw your comment and thought id suggest one of our models of subwoofer as an option.

I wouldn't use the bishop sound ones, they are just re branded Chinese boxes... Chances are the thomman one might be too. depends how bothered you are by this I suppose. 

Anyways, if you are in the market for a compact, subwoofer that can offer proper p.a system performance, without spending big money per box. You probably want to consider using passive / external amplification + DSP. 

If your not put off by getting in some decent amps and DSP, our PP115 sub would be perfect for you. 

I will PM you with some info :) 

Luke 

White Noise Audio

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 12:13am
Originally posted by White Noise White Noise wrote:

Hi Kahrds,

I dont post on here much, but I saw your comment and thought id suggest one of our models of subwoofer as an option.

I wouldn't use the bishop sound ones, they are just re branded Chinese boxes... Chances are the thomman one might be too. depends how bothered you are by this I suppose. 

Anyways, if you are in the market for a compact, subwoofer that can offer proper p.a system performance, without spending big money per box. You probably want to consider using passive / external amplification + DSP. 

If your not put off by getting in some decent amps and DSP, our PP115 sub would be perfect for you. 

I will PM you with some info :) 

Luke 

White Noise Audio

Pictures?...
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 12:25am
Yup, you're not going to pop to the top of the search rankings with a name like that.
White Noise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Noise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 1:22am
Mini Mad... uploading pictures on here is a bit of a hasstle... 

some links to our Facebook here for some pics :) 

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteNoiseSoundEnforcement/photos/a.313348912124914/1550369465089513/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteNoiseSoundEnforcement/photos/a.313348912124914/1567641173362342/?type=3&theater

And a video of some in  a cardio configuration on an FFA10k playing dub here too :) 

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteNoiseSoundEnforcement/videos/1293436280782834/

The PP stands for Party Pounder lol !... Started off as a joke and stuck amongst mates ! We are party animals at heart :) 

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2018 at 10:08am
interesting! What's the driver?

Judging by your previous comment not a Chinese thing. Boxes your own design?
khards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 8:45am
Must admit, I'm not worried if the boxes are made in China or nor as long as they're not The quality of skytech or QTX.
All common DJ gear originates from asia these days, especially led lighting.

Torn between the box and the bishopspund boxes, but a fair price difference between the two.
40kg is fine as i'm not the smallest bloke.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 9:05am
I've heard the Thomann cabs and for general DJ work they would be fine, excellent warranty and return policy, no choice in my opinion.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 9:35am
Turbosound Milan?  Now Berry I suppose but worth a look?
It's everything, not everythink!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

I've heard the Thomann cabs and for general DJ work they would be fine, excellent warranty and return policy, no choice in my opinion.
The Box stuff coming with a 3yr warranty for a box and driver isn't really a swing point as boxes are either blown due to silly DJs over powering them or box boys dropping them.. neither of which the warranty will be useful for 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>