Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proline 3000 - People blowing drivers or Amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:53am
People running scoops seem to come off okay but those of us with FLH seem to pop drivers...
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by rosssss224 rosssss224 wrote:

People running scoops seem to come off okay but those of us with FLH seem to pop drivers...

From at least 10 years ago, someone here said, amp good for 2x15s per channel at 4 ohms, but not 2x 18s pet channel.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 7:50pm
So if it's widely known that as soon as you see a clip light the amp takes out your drivers why do people buy them? I had two but sold them and now power my dual 18 subs with two QSC RMX4050HD one sub per channel. I can't be sure which amp is best but has anyone ever tried the RMX4050HD alongside the Proline 3000 running subs in 4 ohms stereo?

I sold mine because although I never clip my pa system some of my mates do ease the level up a bit so I only used the Proline 3000 amps once at a party and wasn't prepared to keep using them if they definately would send the subs drivers into hell. Like I say I never tested the RMX4050HD alongside the Proline 3000 but I can say that although i'm underpowering my subs by about 200 watts per sub the RMX4050HD is definately capable of 40hz power continuously and my subs you can feel the sub bass in your stomach.

I think if the amps are that dangerous to drivers then we need to put the word out to make sure no-one buys them and instead buys something with half decent clip protection.

Edited by Jack_The_Ripper - 30 October 2018 at 7:58pm
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 8:22pm
People who are with their rigs all the time is one thing. Dry hire or install one of those damn things and you will have issues.
It's everything, not everythink!
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 8:41pm
As mentioned before, put a limited infront, no issues. What's the problem? Why demonise an amp when user abuse causes problems? No amp likes to be clipped.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 9:06pm
what valve said ^^^
Reverence Sound system

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

As mentioned before, put a limited infront, no issues. What's the problem? Why demonise an amp when user abuse causes problems? No amp likes to be clipped.

The problem is not really the amp.

It's the people who incorrectly repeat the results of the German lab test.

Lab test said 2kwpc at 4 ohms @ 80hz !!!

That does not mean amp will do 2kwpc @ 4 ohms at 40 - 60hz, so people who think they can get that, clip the amp trying, and oh well..

Let us remember Crown MA3600VZ, will also eat drivers when out of steam, as that had no inbuilt clip circuitry!!!
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 9:35pm
Because when they clip, just once, they cause a lot more damage than other amps in the same scenario. This is not hearsay or demonetization. I've owned one and the way it went from OK to nasty noise is not right. BPSound had one in install and it killed a load of Wembley B Lines and it was behind a Cloud Limiter.
 Post was about amps ability to kill drivers, if yours hasn't cool, fair play, the ones I was involved with were horrid. Maybe they are not all created equal?
It's everything, not everythink!
Jack_The_Ripper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack_The_Ripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 10:27am
Nicky...
That's why I was asking why would anyone who's heard horror stories about the amp use one. If you only have to clip it once and it kills your drivers then surely something is wrong with the design of the amplifier or maybe it's internal components aren't what anyone would class as reasonable quality I don't know. I've seen my mates use cheaper amplifiers before like W-Audio, Samson etc...which have clipped occasionally and not destroyed drivers. Maybe the only way to really use the Proline 3000 is if you leave AT LEAST 3db headroom AND use a loudspeaker management system at the quality level of say XTA DP426 etc...which has excellent quality RMS and Peak limiters. 

And if they're not all created equal then it's obvious Deton Audio (who makes the Proline 3000 and Thoman rebadge as the Proline 3000) has VERY serious quality control and manufacturing consistency problems.

Edited by Jack_The_Ripper - 31 October 2018 at 10:32am
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 12:54pm
At the end of the day DIY / hobbyists all want 4 x 18" subs ASAP and will choose to drive them with a cheap amp to have the big stack of bass quicker. Thats what we did and what others will do...could we have saved the extra £750 for a 'proper' amp yes. But we thought bugger it it will be fine most people seem to find i otkay and of course we'll careful not like those other muppets. Fast forward its 7am and everyones taken their eye off the ball and someone asks if the bass seems quiet.

The amp is designed to drive 4 x 15" medium powered drivers. IF you used an inf8 to drive boxes needing 1500w rms to get out of bed that would be labelled a 'driver killer' probably

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 1:48pm
Seen them used to drive pairs of X1s amongst others all night to some messy early morning situations. No issues.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2018 at 2:42pm
Quote from above
"And if they're not all created equal then it's obvious Deton Audio (who makes the Proline 3000 and Thoman rebadge as the Proline 3000) has VERY serious quality control and manufacturing consistency problems."

I bought a load of Deton Audio products from Jo at Ohm a few years ago and it was not a happy experience.
All of the products were brand new boxed items and we had a 50% failure rate straight from the box--of the other 50% we only had one item still working OK after a couple of months so out of about 20 items to find only one OK says a lot about Deton quality and reliability.
They were very crudely built, even the metal rack cases were bloody aweful and the internal components and pots were cheap tat.
I would NEVER touch any Deton Audio product again!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Robbo - 31 October 2018 at 2:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>