Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VOX Discotape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VOX Discotape
    Posted: 30 October 2018 at 6:12pm
I have built and repaired just about every type of old double deck disco console in my time. Disco and music shops, DJ's etc, brought their repairs to me. This started properly 40 years ago. I made and fixed all sorts for years before that too. In all that time I have never seen the elusive VOX Discotape, only pictures. 

I managed to get one at last. It will be the subject of a serious refurb. I fix, repair and refurb old consoles again now as they are retro and collectable. It's fun too, and not to taxing on the brain. There's over 10 consoles here for refurb, modification and repair right now. 

This VOX Discotape is one owner from new. It was covered in tar and paint with an awful tobacco smell. I washed it outside before bringing it in. 

Scrubbed. Needs more cleaning, but I can fiddle with it now.

The old Pulsar controller was with it.

It's in a queue to refurbish and as it's mine, it could be a while yet. 

I bought another rare console from a similar era recently. I found the original builder and have yet to get them to communicate. It appears he is not interested in something he designed, built and sold in 1973 ish. I wish I had some of my builds from the 70's. 
Billy Dawg.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 6:43pm
discotastic! - looking forward to the eventual rebuild 😁
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2018 at 7:42pm
AS am I, I'm thinking I need to see this in the flesh when it's done Smile  

Edited by colint - 30 October 2018 at 7:42pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 6:29pm
that must be pretty rare. Looks like they re-used the continental organ cabinet!! The cassette player looks a bit philips-ish
Kevin

North Staffordshire

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

Looks like they re-used the continental organ cabinet!!

I was admiring the legs (as one does...) and thinking the same thing.

Classic Continental Z-style, and it still has the link bar.

Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2018 at 9:48am
It should have 2 link bars. One will be made. Yes, it's in the organ case. This is such a rare thing. 

It's in a queue to be rebuilt. A one day project. Once done it will feature here of course. Meanwhile some other old 'tat' has been rebuilt, upgraded and some modified. One has been named Egor because he has a new 'brain'. 

It's a Sony tape, and well spotted as Phillips which from the only pictures I ever saw is what I thought it was. I have an immaculate Phillips with the push control lever should the Sony one be dead, but if it was, I'd fix it. 

Edited by Muckerbarnes1 - 14 December 2018 at 9:51am
Billy Dawg.
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2018 at 7:26pm
Just fer yer pleasure, I'll re badge it NJD. 
Billy Dawg.
59chevymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59chevymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 9:12am
hello muckerbarnes great job restoring these units have some questions if u could please call me 3053671224 thanku
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by 59chevymon 59chevymon wrote:

hello muckerbarnes great job restoring these units have some questions if u could please call me 3053671224 thanku

You do realise that Mucker is in Stroud UK don't you ??? LOLLOLLOLLOL

He may PM you, failing that after you have made 10 posts to these forums you'll be able to PM him.

And, welcome to Speakerplans.
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
ggggg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 11:29am
excuse me is it for sale? i m italian. simone tintillini facebook. sabaudiacantante@gmail.com  thanks in advance.
ggggg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 11:29am
Big smile
ggggg View Drop Down

Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>