Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

selenium PAS1MA1 drivers help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: selenium PAS1MA1 drivers help
    Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:58am
plan in question:http://hornplans.free.fr/pas1ma1.html
looking for driver recommendations
recommended drivers according to plan:
15" WPU1505/WPU1507
12" WPU1206/12MB1P
COMP D4400TI/D3300TI
HORN HL47-50R

these drivers are all currently unavailable, i am not too worried about finding a suitable compression driver and horn.
after i find some compatible drivers i would like to also sim them.
bet this top would be a 3 man lift onto the stack..... although as each rear chamber is sealed it could be split into 3 seperate boxes

i have currently 2 1850 horns v18 loaded (soon to be 4, then 6) and a ws215a
amps: pkn xe6000 & xe2500 
I feel 2-3 of these tops will be perfect over the bins (6x 1850s) and not leave as large gaps as a 2 way top.
thanks 
callum

AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:21am
The 15 in the selenium plan and ws215a will cover the same frequency band, not that you have to use them that way but it could be considered a waste.

I know this doesn't answer your question but generally advice is to buy used pro audio tops. Unless you want something really specific for the time and cost it takes to build you can buy something on the used market for less, have it ready to go and achieve excellent sound quality. EAW kf850 spring to mind if you want that sort of format or Martin Audio H3.
callumtruds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 10:54am
Thanks for the reply ! 
My plan is to ditch the ws215a when I get 4 1850s, and use the amp channel for tops instead. Ws215a recommend crossover points are 28-100 hz also, the selenium tops start at 120hz :) 

I would love to buy big 3 way tops but they are super expensive and hard to know how they have previously been used. The biggest issue is living in west cork, I would have to fly over to England to test tops and ship them back.. availability is very slack in Ireland, there are currently some stasys 3 mk2 tops for sale locally but wouldn't get them for under 1800 euro ! 

I have access to a large workshop with panel saw, festool rail saws, planer thicknesser, mortise machine, band saw, routers etc. 

I want something different also and want to be able to say I have built the whole stack myself, my first 1850 bins I built on a workmate with an Aldis drill and Aldis table saw & cheap circular saw from mdf in a garden shed when I was 17 so with a workshop like this to use I will be a very happy man.
I'm looking for something different  Smile
Thanks

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by AM55 AM55 wrote:

I know this doesn't answer your question but generally advice is to buy used pro audio tops.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:22pm
Imho the pas1ma1 is a big cab and definitely three way.

The mt122 was designed to go above 1850s so that might be an option you can also cut them down to a mt121.

The peter morris mid top is a very good diy design. Reports say it outperforms some commercial cabs so it also might be worth investigating as well.

Ill stand by my comment on buying used pro audio. When speakerplans kicked off drivers and wood cost less and used pro audio was expensive. Since there has been a dip in the economy inflation is up and the used market is flat so it has flipped things the other way. Once you add up the cost of drivers, wood, fixings, hardware not to mention time sometimes you are better off buying something and getting straight out there to have fun.............

......... that is of course unless bespoke is going to be your usp.

I appreciate location does complicate things for you.

I also agree standing back with an "I made that" moment is very satisfying.

P.s. look at soundgears orbit mid/top for a very cheap off the shelf cab. They can be found on ebay of message tomebomb on here.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2018 at 4:38pm
Hmm... i kind a like that model name....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 12:31pm
yeah the mt122/mt121 would probably be my best bet ! I can't see any plans for the Peter Morris mid top.
I have looked at the orbit tops, they are very nice and very reasonably priced !!
Yeah I agree about buying tops but for some a home built system is important.
Also I feel built tops with brand new drivers like pd drivers, they are gonna last alot longer than drivers that have already had 5-10 years of use and who knows how they were driven :) 
Callum 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by callumtruds callumtruds wrote:

I can't see any plans for the Peter Morris mid top.
Callum 

They're over at soundforums.net rather than being here.
Cheers,
David.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 12:45pm
thanks for that, il do some good reading into them tonight 
Callum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2018 at 11:51am
 I am buying some turbosound hi lite 4.2s, 
Think they are going to exceed my expectations ! 
Thanks everyone 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2018 at 12:53pm
sol to the rescue!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2018 at 6:02pm
Any drivers recommended for MT122/MT121 would work for 12" section.

Any driver similar to Fane 15B, would work in 15" section.

Next question.

Was that really that hard ?

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>