Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void Acoustics 12" Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Void Acoustics 12" Drivers
    Posted: 02 November 2018 at 2:51pm
I've recently acquired a pair of new Void 12" drivers (V12 500NG) and was wondering what would be best to do with them. I was thinking about having some boxes built for them but now I'm wondering if I might be better to sell the drivers on to someone who could make better use of them and put the money I get for them towards some used void cabs. Has anyone got any suggestions?

If I decide that selling them on would be the best idea can anyone give me an idea of how much they would be worth and does anyone have any affordable Void speakers (or comparable) that they are looking to sell that would be worth me looking at?
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 4:03pm
Can you post a photo of these? 
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 4:23pm
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 4:31pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 5:39pm
These are used in:
Air Motion, Arcline12, Axsys 12 & Impulse 4T/Stasys 2

So a reflex midhigh tuned to say 60/80Hz would be the shout.
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 6:01pm
Yes, I have certainly been told they are used in the Air Motion and Stasys 2.

Would I get a nice sounding speaker if I had a reflex cab built out of 18" birch ply? 

Please pardon my ignorance, but does tuning it just mean using an active crossover to send everything above 60Hz to the speaker?
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Casual77 Casual77 wrote:

Please pardon my ignorance, but does tuning it just mean using an active crossover to send everything above 60Hz to the speaker?
Briefly (someone will be along with the correct equations shortly), any & every reflex box will have a tuning frequency, a product of the internal air volume of the cabinet acting on the port/vent:  The internal volume of the cabinet, port length and port diameter/cross-sectional area are the three variables which determine the tuning.

The tuning frequency of the reflex box is independent of any driver you put in it, but different drivers prefer different size boxes (internal volume), so usually the driver & application chosen will determine the internal volume and then ports are designed to achieve desired tuning.

The tuning refers to the frequency where the resonance of the internal  air volume / port combination provides the greatest boost to the speaker's output, although this effect is heard up to 1/3 octave below and 2/3 octave above the tuning frequency.  It's common to tune a box slightly above a speaker driver's resonant frequency to take advantage of this spread and generate a boost over the lowest octave the speaker can effectively reproduce.

Hope that helps, without using loads of Thiele-Small parameters to explain it.

Edit:  Yes, this +18mm ply could make beautiful music together.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 02 November 2018 at 8:02pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 8:11pm
void spare parts are quite pricey in my opinion.. maybe you could sell these to someone who needs them for their void speakers or wants them as spares.. and buy more than 2 12" drivers with the money?

i like a project though so i get it too.
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 9:52pm
Thanks for the replies and the layman’s explanation of the sound theory I-Shen. I had no idea that there was so much science involved in the design of a reflex box. I’d always just assumed you could stick any quality driver in a well made box built out of decent wood and it would do a job... but I can tell from your post that I clearly under-estimated what was involved.

I’m a fan of Void speakers but I’m not particularly precious about the drivers. My aim at the moment is just to put together the best sounding system I can on a limited budget. If that is best achieved by having some decent boxes built by an experienced speaker maker using the Void drivers I would be happy with that but alternatively if I could get more bang for buck by selling them on and using the money to buy some second-hand speakers I’m equally open to that too.

Assuming, that it would cost me £400-500 to get some decent reflex boxes built and the Void drivers are worth something similar to someone wanting them as spares, that would potentially give me £800-1000 to either buy a decent pair of used tops or put towards something more expensive. I’m not particularly clued up but the sort of speakers that would appeal would be something like a pair of Void Stasys 3s, Turbosound Floodlights or Funktion One Res 2s.

I’m definitely in the ‘newbie’ camp where this stuff is concerned so I’d welcome any suggestions from people who are far more clued up than me, of which way would be best to go.

rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 8:23am

I know its not but looks like a DAS driver i have....lol
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 10:02am

Thanks for the replies and the layman’s explanation of the sound theory I-Shen. I had no idea that there was so much science involved in the design of a reflex box. I’d always just assumed you could stick any quality driver in a well made box built out of decent wood and it would do a job... but I can tell from your post that I clearly under-estimated what was involved

Oh, my good fellow, that's barely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to loudspeaker enclosures haha
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2018 at 10:18am
Yeah, I don’t doubt that it is... which is why I have no ambition to give making them a go myself. I’m far better leaving that to people who know what they are doing and I’ll stick to just appreciating the end result.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>