Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sub-sat system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sub-sat system
    Posted: 07 November 2018 at 9:20pm
A very good freind of mine was looking for some cheapish speakers to use in his garage and at the occasional house party. With a budget of £300 I decided it would be better (probably) and much more fun to build something for him. Ive settled at the moment on using an 8" Peerless SLS-P830667 bass driver mounted in 60L box tuned to 30hz. Covering the upper frequencies two Dayton RS100-4 4" crossing over around 180-200hz in a single sealed 0.10 litre box. Using win ISD ive came to the enclosure volumes. This will be my first time building anything from scratch so its all a bit of an experiment at the moment! At the rear of the bass enclosure a sure 2~300w TAS5630 amplifier, Sure bluetooth unit, Digitally controlled volume pot and mini DSP to tune the unit using R.E.W. I need to source a decent PSU, Sure's published ratings are 48v. As he can get his hands on BB Grade birch ply for nothing (he works on film sets) I was going to knock up a dummy box and take some measurements once ive figured out everything. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly apriciated.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 10:17pm
the maths look solid, sounds like a good plan.
https://www.elements-audio.com
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2018 at 10:46pm
The other option which ive been playing with is 90l box tunes to 45hz using a JBL 2206h driverI have spare. This will save money, but there not exactly the most effecient of drivers so ill probably end up needing bigger amp moduals/power supplys etc thus costing more eventually.
Greg32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 10:31am
have a look at the tham12 taped horn for the 2206. 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2018 at 11:19am
Have a look at meanwell for the PSU, they do PFC and non PFC supplies, and in my usage have been reliable
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2018 at 4:47pm
Cheers. Ill look at those supplies. Ive ordered all the bits now, just waiting on delivery.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 10:50am
All the bits from Soundimports arrived yesterday so im going to try and start the build this weekend-weather permitting!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 10:13pm
I’ve now built both tops and sub, and overall I’m very happy with the sound of the system. Only niggle I have is the the hf is a bit much. If I introduce EQ above 5k to counter act I seem to loose to much in quality, so can I use a resistor to reduce the output of the HF? I don’t really want to use an l-pad attenuators. The 5” and dome tweeter run passive through a passive 2k crossover as the 5” starts to tail off there and the tweeter starts. I’ve used REW to measure this. I’ll get some build pics up soon.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2018 at 11:33pm
an lpad really is just a resistor though.. and another to maintain impedence.

https://www.speakerplans.com/rvalues.jpg
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 7:09am
Cheers Cravings. I did do a search, wasnt being lazy-just not very well it would seem!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2018 at 10:36pm
Ordered a few different resisters, ended up taking -7db of the Hf . Pretty happy with the outcome. My mates coming over for a demo tomorrow to see if I’ve wasted his money or not! I’ve got a feeling he’ll want another set built but he can jog on till after Christmas the wife’s already got the hump with me “sticking my dick in speakers” her words-not mineLOL

Edited by boots-hifi - 06 December 2018 at 10:37pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2018 at 7:59pm

Edited by boots-hifi - 19 December 2018 at 8:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>