Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pkn xe6000 on void v18s & limiters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pkn xe6000 on void v18s & limiters
    Posted: 08 November 2018 at 4:45pm
Pkn xe 6000
3650watts @ 4 ohm (marketing/burst figure)
Real rms as tested at uk sound meet is 2600w @ 4 ohm
That's on a 40hz tone for 5+ seconds  link below https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting/amp-meet-three.php
So my question is when running 2 void v18s loaded in 1850 horns per channel what kinda limiter should I be setting on my bins ? 
I had it set at 135volts just by ear and by the massive sound I didn't push it any further, that is peak 135 and my rms volts around 50-90 as read from amp display
The drivers can take 89volts rms each but @ 8 ohms, so does that half when you run them at 4 ohm ?
Sound 
Callum
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 4:54pm
Hi.

I suspect you can go a bit higher with the limiters, but it does depend on the type of music you are playing and your low cut frequency. 

I would recommend that you keep an eye on the average current screen and check at what point your cones start getting hot, as this will be the long term limit for your drivers. 

The PKN limiter is very good, but it is still not a long term 'real power' limiter  like that found in the Powersoft. 

callumtruds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 7:36pm
Liquid, jungle, dark drum and bass, some dub and reggae :) 
Low cut is 48hz -3db with a 48db slope linkweitz Riley, 
Hit cut is about 110 with a 24db slope, eq'd to style of music,
IL bring the limiter back a little and see what it sounds like, 
How would you test for cones being hot in a 1850 horn ? No heatsink to feel either, could blast them for a few hours then rip the back panel off and measure quickly :p 
It's actually jacks old pkns 
Coming from amps with no proper limiter I'm in love with the pkno limiter
Thanks 
Callum

Edited by callumtruds - 08 November 2018 at 7:47pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 8:30pm
Are you actually seeing it limit? Does the AGR light come on at any point?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 8:32pm
If anything peak of 135v is a touch high. You won’t get any real world improvement by putting it any higher.

Edited by toastyghost - 08 November 2018 at 8:33pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 9:23pm
I keep the agr light off for the most part, on peaks of some songs it tips and I take it back .5db, but I like to keep it only that 0.5db off the agr light.
Because they are 89v at 8 ohm does this mean they only need 45 volts at 4 ohm ? The amp is also reading morelike 5-7 ohms with it rarely dropping to 4 ohms 
Sound 
Callum
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2018 at 10:04pm
Same voltage, look up 'ohm's law' which may help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2018 at 8:32am
Ah I didn't think to look at the laws of electric ! Would have been the place to start.... 
Thanks 
Callum
knockout11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knockout11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2019 at 8:54pm
http://www.peterpapp.com/pictures/index.php?twg_album=Amps&twg_show=xe_rear_adv.jpg#65

This is the formula for the PKN limiter XE series

Edited by knockout11 - 14 January 2019 at 8:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callumtruds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2019 at 11:28pm
Thank you that clears up exactly what I need ! 
Handy selection of pictures ,,
Working out being a safe limit of 125 volts, 
may raise a little when playing music myself.
Thanks
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2019 at 12:30am
I wouldn’t. That is well into solely heating territory for less than a decibel extra output, ignoring thermal compression. The long term RMS capability of those drivers in that box is about 300w each, tops.

Edited by toastyghost - 27 January 2019 at 12:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply