Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haze Caravelle (barn find!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vital spark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haze Caravelle (barn find!)
    Posted: 16 November 2018 at 2:15pm
Good Afternoon.

Since its my first post, i'll give a little background.

My name is Allan, and i live up in NE Scotland. Electrics and basic electronics are well known to me, as is more modern day Audio equipment, however DJ'ing and Disco Equipment are a bit Alien to me.

I recently stumbled across a facebook marketplace ad for an old "Haze Caravelle console". Since i have young nieces very interested in DJ'ing, and my continuous lust for tinkering, i snapped up the console with a view to getting it full up and running and getting use of it again.

Googling "Haze", Caravelle", "Bournemouth" isnt so successful, obviously due to to pre-dating the interweb, and a company probably long past existence, however the only reference i can i find was this post on these very forums:

https://forum.speakerplans.com/old-skool-triple-deck-console_topic44325 - https://forum.speakerplans.com/old-skool-triple-deck-console_topic44325

The unit itself isnt in too bad a condition. the decks (Garrard 125sb's) seem to functioning from my testing so far, with exception to a missing centre spindle on one, new belts required for both. a clean/regrease/oil etc and a tone arm weight for both.  Not got as far as cartridges/needles yet, but there does look theres option out there still avaliable.

Onto the console itself. I'm as yet to get either an input or ourput hooked up yet, but from my initial findings, i noticed that one amp has been bypassed completely. This had me assume that the Right channel amp had popped and was bypassed, however, testing individual components and input voltages etc, all seems to check out ok.

What i can only assume (until i dig further), is that it could possibly be right channel inside the mixing console thats been the problem.

I'm making progress with providing an input source to test further etc, and will likely fire her up as is, see what's good, and work backwards to nail down the issue.

Sorry for the long winded intro!

What i'm interested in, is any history on these units. how rare are they, how many would have been sold originally, how good were they in there day (the turntables arent world beaters from my googling, but not the worst by far, and can be pretty good with the right cartridge).

Also, are there any wiring digrams in existence (anything Haze console related would be a start), and potentail spares lying around, either for the decks or console. Anyone to speak to thats an expert on all things Haze. Any still in existence?  Generally, any assistance/info appreciated!

[/URL]

Edited by vital spark - 16 November 2018 at 2:19pm
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 6:31pm
Got to admit, I've not seen one in the flesh before. Are you on Facebook? Cuz there's an awesome group (mainly consisting of the old farts from here), that will be able to help with all the questions.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 9:23pm
Ditto Eddie,also not seen one in the flesh. Haze were only around for a few years back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Besides the parts already mentioned above,the crucial sculptured rubber turntable mats are also missing? Locating 40year old spare parts is becoming increasingly difficult...and expensive. Just keep your eye on ebay, but be prepared to pay a high price for the missing items.

I would also say there is almost no chance of ever finding a schematic for the mixer or amp modules, but that wont matter,as will all be quite simple basic stuff inside. If you get stuck, just take a photo of the PCB's (both sides) and post it,im sure will help with the electronic side of things.
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 9:33pm
Re your question Allan "What i'm interested in, is any history on these units. how rare are they, how many would have been sold originally, how good were they in there day"

Quite rare...Citronic were the market leader and the most popular, probably the best-all-round units, Soundout were next in the list along with Cloud and Discosound. FAL were the budget option,and considered the bargain-basement of disco consoles.

Haze were in that middle group,your unit with its built in amps would have been a good one back in the day,and very heavy too. Probably quite expensive too, Maybe around £500 in the late 70's,which would have been a fortune then. If yours was complete and fully working,would be worth a fair price today too.
Be seeing you.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2018 at 10:29pm
I love seeing these old consoles and learning the history of them. In the mid to late 90's when I was a lad and being a mobile dj was my dream(!) I used to take note of what all the local djs were using at school discos and family parties and more often than not it was a twin deck console like this but with a cd player or two plugged in, when I then started doing the odd gig with a mate in '98 we were given two Sound Creations consoles by his uncle, we did the same thing and only used them for the in-built power amps (which at the time seemed VERY loud), I've since learned that the Sound Creations stuff was at the 'cheap' end but but those consoles did us well at the time!
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2018 at 7:43am
Nice to see, made round the corner from me, I used to go into the factory from time to time, never owned one but borrowed one twice when the Citronic needed work, really nice consul if i remember correctly. I think we tried to buy the hire one and trade in our Citronic but no deal was struck, I would keep hold of it and do your best to restore it to original condition, I will speak to a few friends from that time and see what they can come up with for you, good luck Smile
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Got to admit, I've not seen one in the flesh before. Are you on Facebook? Cuz there's an awesome group (mainly consisting of the old farts from here), that will be able to help with all the questions.

Old Fart's? bloody cheek Tongue
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
vital spark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vital spark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 3:40pm
Thanks for the info people, its great to learn stories/associations and a bit of background info on finds.

When "fair price" is mentioned, how much would be a fair price?!!

I dont intend to sell, i have a good use for it, and a bit of retro fun to be had by me, the daughter with her electric guitar, and the neice with her DJ aspirations.

Ref turtable platters, yes i recieved two, but both completely mishapen after lying scrunched up in the box. One seems ok, but the other has quickly gone hard/brittle and destined for the bin!

I found one complete turntable from Ebay Italy, so await its arrival, and i'm discussing another from Ebay Germany, although the first one should free enough parts to make a good one, the one in Germany is far better cosmetic condition.

While i await parts, i've been busy with the carpentry aspects over the weekend. When i state barn find, i really do mean that. Its been sat in the corner of a Barn for neigh on 20 years, and the bottom of the transit case had rotted out, and the console suffering from a bit of mould, and the appauling stench associated with it.

Unfortunately, it was unbearable to have this sitting inside the house, and although the wood can be cleaned and demoulded, the exterior covering, as well as ripped, bashed, screwed into etc over the years, stank also. There was also some damage to the bottom right corner where the mixing console sits (plywood delaminating), so as much as i would have liked to keep the original covering, it had to go. Also, no disrespect to Haze, but the openings on the front of the case looked like an afterthought, and cut out using a hammer, so needed a good tidy up also.

Some pics below of progress so far.

Heres the internal amps. Note the right one bypassed, also they look two different amps. Note sure how this will affect its sound or appeal?!??

Box after a de-covering, de glueing,  repair, resmooth and a paint to seal it. I'm thinking of using a leatherette type of covering since i cant find anything close to the original covering.

Transit case getting back together :) . a lick of matt black paint will hide the repairs i think.

Thanks for all your help so far. I did look on Facebook, but couldnt see anything that had been active since 2016??

Al

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 3:53pm
If the amp on the right has been by-passed,is probably dead. Shouldn't be to hard to repair. The one on the left looks like a later up-graded module, (maybe the original died that side as well) with dual TO3 outputs per side,as opposed to the single ones on the right. Left hand amp also has larger caps. Will probably sound the same if you can fix the right hand one, as both use the same size transformers.
Be seeing you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vital spark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 4:03pm
I've ran over all transistors, resitors, diodes etc of the disconnected amp and they all test out ok, its two green LED's light up the same as the left one, and its got the same input voltage as the left side. Will soon find out though.

I did break into the mixing module for a quick look, and found some broken wires on the pot for the right hand mid tones, so i'm thinking it could be there that the problem lies. Will find out soon enough though.

Al
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 7:57pm

I am not sure DJ niece will be to ecstatic beat mixing without any pitch controls though the belt drive should add some interesting after effects 
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vital spark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

I am not sure DJ niece will be to ecstatic beat mixing without any pitch controls though the belt drive should add some interesting after effects 

Yup, no cross fader either! To be honest, it’ll probably spend most of its time hooked up to an iPad and the dj app. Nice to be able to play records, amp a guitar, overlay music microphone and so on though. She’s 9, so Calvin Harris can sleep easy for a few months at least!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>