Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

best "little" sub driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best "little" sub driver
    Posted: 19 November 2018 at 4:28pm
I've not experince in project home/little system... 12V powered...

no bigger than 8"

and i thin it will be about 3 way, so we can imagine that xover would be 100hz or something like...

i know from physics that size "matter" when we talk about bass and reproduce it, wich is the best speaker size -keeping in mind that the goal si to going as little as possible and as low as possible- no idea about enclousure yet...could be little reflex or other plan that can give me good sub response... even band pass or horn (i dont think is a good solution)

even if u have some "reference" model it will be nice...

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 4:45pm
I have a couple of VOLT 8" studio drivers. They are an old model but have not been used since a factory re-cone. According to the data sheet they will go to 50Hz in a 14 litre box, 42hz in 22 litres, or 38Hz in 30 litres. All figs are @ -3dB.

If interested I can send a copy of the data sheet.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 7:26pm
Tangband w8-740p is meant to be a monster if it has to be an 8". They also have some quite silly 6.5"s.
Don't test the champignon sound
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 8:18pm
Got a 8" Peerless driver sitting here from sound imports waiting to be loaded into a 60l ported box. Ill let you know what the outcome is.

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2018 at 8:21pm
Second the TangBand W6-1339 or it's ferrite brother, 6.5" with very good price/ performance, bit power hungry though.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 7:40am
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I have a couple of VOLT 8" studio drivers. They are an old model but have not been used since a factory re-cone. According to the data sheet they will go to 50Hz in a 14 litre box, 42hz in 22 litres, or 38Hz in 30 litres. All figs are @ -3dB.

For a home application these will be very hard to beat, if I was doing another home system I would look no further.
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 8:48am
no way to going under 6.5"so... a 4" is not capable to playing bass?

any suggestion about design?
bass reflex or band bass?
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

wich one?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 9:37am
As I said it's an old model, the LS201. It's on the winisd driver data base if you want to check out the performance.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2018 at 4:26pm
If you want the best, that would probably be the Faital Pro 8PR200.
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 12:05pm
id like to make another question about this topic:

if 6.5" is capable of 83db and fs of 35. if i put a double of 6.5" then it will be 86db or I wrong?
then against 
a single 8" with 84db with fs 30hz.

so single 8" or double 6.5"?
maybe in the same space i can fit even a 10" !!!!

if ill load a single 8" probably the 8" will be like a bandpass and not with the speaker in front as direct radiator....so the spaaker maybe will direct to the floor for example...
If ill load 2, 6.5" it will be a little reflex with the speaker in front of the listener...

who will play more loud and more bass?
which is the most convenient enclosure speaker/size

Edited by _Natty_ - 24 November 2019 at 12:06pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 12:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>