Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tilt Boards for Martin H3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tilt Boards for Martin H3
    Posted: 22 November 2018 at 10:40am
Another little project related to our recently acquired Martin H3T+'s.

I wanted a tilt solution that would also allow the cabs to be strapped to the subs at a variety of splay angles.

The wedges I've designed bolt to the three threaded inserts on the base of the cab.

The internal bracing cuts needed to be accurate and repeatable, so I built a simple crosscut jig that allows the saw guide to be fixed at a set angle and a stop block set to ensure all the pieces are identical.

Dry fitting braces to base

I transferred the insert locations to the top part using some threaded rod ground to a point. To grind the points I put the threaded rod in drill chuck and spun it slowly while grinding on a bench grinder.

Fitted to the cab:

The curved front edge of the cab is designed to overhang the base plate to prevent the cab from rocking:

I'm glad I only used far eastern ply for these as I managed to cut the top panels wrong about 4 times due to (a) dodgy marking out and then (b) placing the saw guide on the wrong side of the line. Sods law the mistakes always resulted in panels that were slightly too small so had to start afresh each time.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2018 at 11:26am
Back in the good old days we used a couple of house bricks and a bit of rubber mat to do the same job but obviously now the country has got an obsession with health and safety you can no longer get away with it--we even sprayed the house bricks satin black so that they would blend in neatly
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2018 at 11:31am
Will you leave them bolted on for travel? 

You could cut some handle pocket into the base piece if needed although it looks like there's plenty of edges to get hold of.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Back in the good old days we used a couple of house bricks and a bit of rubber mat to do the same job but obviously now the country has got an obsession with health and safety you can no longer get away with it--we even sprayed the house bricks satin black so that they would blend in neatly

The curved front of these cabs makes it awkward to do something really simple - once tilted it creates a giant rocking horse! I love your sprayed bricks though, attention to detail there LOL

Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Will you leave them bolted on for travel? 

They could stay on for venues with a level load in, but I was thinking they would be removed usually. They're pretty quick to install / deinstall.
Buntymcguinnis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buntymcguinnis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2020 at 8:29pm
Would you happen to still have your 3D model files for these, and be willing to share them? Just acquired four of the H3T+ and it'd save a lot of measuring and transferring into sketchup.

Thanks very much
cj26001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj26001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2020 at 10:35am
I'd also really appreciate the plans if youd share? thanks
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 3:25pm
Sorry only just seen requests for model / plans... to be honest I can't actually be sure this is the final one I used, so it would be a good idea to check the measurements:

In practice, while passing the strap through the board as planned works, it doesn't feel totally secure. 

We still use these boards, but always put a strap over the top of each H3.

Definitely room for the design to be improved. 

Edited by colinmono - 14 January 2021 at 3:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply