Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The beginning of my system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The beginning of my system
    Posted: 29 November 2018 at 8:58pm
< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px} p.p3 {margin: 8.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}

Hi DIY'ers, I've been lurking around here on and off for about 3 years though this is my first post. I never really had the right situation to build anything until I started a joinery apprenticeship (which I've just finished this month). 

Anyway, around this time last year I started researching and saving heavily, I drank up everything I could on here, taking particular notice of people like Tony Wilkes (RIP), MarjanM, Ceharden etc. etc. At the time I wanted the best quality for small venues, 300 people tops. That seemed to equal a full reflex rig; two equal width stacks of 2x18", 2x12", 1xCD. 

Based on popularity on this forum, I bought 4 x 12pe32, 2 x BMS 4550 on tractrix LTH 102 horns, a dcx 2496, Crest v1500 and Matrix XT800. That was an expensive month on apprentice wage for sure!

Below are all the photos that I took of the build, I forgot to take any initially, but hopefully these are worth peoples while.

The footprint, I'm pretty sure it's a 100L cab, so I worked the inside footprint to be 100cm2, and it's 1m tall internally (I think).

Rebates and housing for the sides and baffle. I did this on a table saw but it's hard to be consistently accurate when you're going over the same small 18mm in 3mm increments.

Baffle panel sides. These had a 15 degree angle joining them to the trapezoidal sides. A tip for anyone else doing something similar to me on a table saw: leave it wide, cut the angled edge then rip it to the final width. If you cut the angled edge after, you HAVE to meet the end of the cut at the start of the face, if you go slightly over it will be too small.

Cutting the handles. 

Dry Fit. It held together by itself so that's always a good sign!

The bearing on this router bit exploded while I was using it....

Creating the housing for the Neutrik Speakon connectors.

Making quick & dirty boxes to fit inside the handles.

Clamping up. For anyone else doing a trapezoidal box, make sure you keep the angled off-cuts from the table saw, and make a few more if you can!

Planing the excess ply off.

Trying the drivers in there.

In the spray booth. I've only given them two coats of hard clear lacquer. I want them to look like I made them, I don't really get why people DIY and then try to make them look like a bottom of the line pro audio box. But hey-ho. 

Ready for drivers, also the amp rack that I forgot to take any photos of.

And our first outing in Birmingham! The subs were rented for the event, and it's a hard spot to get people dancing in, but it's all worth it just to play records loud with my mates 

-------

A year later, I'm obsessed with unity horns, multi-cell horns, line-source arrays, wooden radial horns, dipping my toes in to building amplifiers etc. etc. I should be getting on with building some big ol' double 18 or THAM15s, but I don't really want the predictable big bulky PA system now. 

Maybe a modular line source of boxes of 4 3" Faital Pro 3FE22s that I can stack and stack based on the ceiling height with massive 15", 10' tall Sonotubes for bass. (I need to get off DIYAudio all the time!).

Anyway, sorry if this post is a bit self indulgent. I've not posted anything over my time here and there's a lot of stuff in my head I want to talk about.

Hope you're all baring the cold weather well, bless!

< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px} p.p3 {margin: 8.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px} span.s1 {font: 14.0px Helvetica}
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 9:03pm
Awesome! Nice build too. 

Time to build subs? LOLLOLLOL

Edited by JonB67 - 29 November 2018 at 9:04pm
Will-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 9:23pm
Thank you Smile

Yes i think it will be time for some of Tony Wilkes' reflex assisted 12s or 15s after christmas.

Now I realise how heavy 2x12 boxes are, I kind of want to go fully modular, 1 driver per box.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 9:43pm
Good work!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 10:02pm
Dual 12 build is next on my hit list! Love it. Was it your design? Looks like a doubled up 18 sound enclosure?

It's also a lot of top for a double 12 sub per side. I would run 15s at least. (actually I'm looking at running a single neo 21 per side instead of doubling up from single 15 to double 15s but I guess that's another story and you don't want me hijacking a great build thread with that discussion!)

Edited by JonB67 - 29 November 2018 at 10:07pm
Will-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 10:39pm
Yeah I played around with Speaker Box Lite on Android for the box size, then just worked it out from there. I haven't seen the 18 sound mid tops.

That's true it is overkill, I'm not going to be doing massive events though (for a while at least) so I don't think I'll be slamming them for a while. I thought that his Q12s went much lower and louder than most 12 reflex boxes? You're probably right re. 15s though, always better to have as much headroom as possible.

What are the benefits of 21s? Generally goes lower and louder? Just looking at them makes my back ache

Post Reply Post Reply