Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp to run 4 x 18TLW3000 8/4 Ohms!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

I meant in the analog domain.. a quality class D amp will cost around 2-3 times more than a class AB.

What do you mean with this?

Waiting for the edit šŸ˜‰
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 6:52pm

EDIT : people have been succesfully using SMPS' in effect pedals etc due to their size, and I've seen some amps using them too.. maybe for small speakers they could be ok, but for heavy duty stuff like driving subs I wouldn't put my money on one.

I GOT IT !
Efinque is somehow writing from the 80s!
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 8:01pm
It is not about the weight, it is all about the sound.
Normally a good and efficient modern technology switching amplifier can be realized in just a fraction of size and weight of a linear amp.
Those Crown XLS is a joke, just like some 99% of the switching amps.
There are just very few really good products on the market and tons of scrap. I can count them on a single hand of mine!
wilidapili View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Normally a good and efficient modern technology switching amplifier can be realized in just a fraction of size and weight of a linear amp.
There are just very few really good products on the market and tons of scrap. I can count them on a single hand of mine!

Iā€™m curious to know these ones you can count with a single hand!
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:06pm

it's hard to tell whether it was AC or DC 

I think you need some more test gear.

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:26pm

Yes - agree that the Crown are bad - but even some fairly expensive Class D have their issues, eg:

https://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting.php?z=Funktion-One_F60Q_-_FFA6004

Give me a decent Class H any day!

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:41pm
i have FFA 6004 since 2011 and been very happy with its sound quality and reliability, 8 years, no issues with the amp, no burned speakers...
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by tehnicar007 tehnicar007 wrote:

Hi guys !
What Amp you recommend to run 4 x 18TLW3000 8/4 Ohms!!!

Ciaaao

Powersoft K20

When you start to focus on drivers that require 3600 watts program power, you are placing yourself with very limited options in terms of amplifiers.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 1:16pm
Don't forget FFA10000
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

Don't forget FFA10000

I always liked the sound of FFA. I would imagine the lack of popularity on Speakerplans is due to not having an on-board DSP.

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by Father-Francis Father-Francis wrote:

Don't forget FFA10000

I always liked the sound of FFA. I would imagine the lack of popularity on Speakerplans is due to not having an on-board DSP.

Best Regards, 

i like them too , I'l be heading over to visit Dave after the holidays , i got three powersoft racks now i need an FFA rack , Dsp or no dsp Big smile sometimes we should just think of the sound we provide 
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2018 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

...surely that's a topology problem... not a PSU problem.

I read class AB amps have the best efficiency. However, a linear PSU will dissipate heat much more effectively than a SMPS, although switchmodes are generally working at 70-80% while a typical linear PSU is somewhere around 50-60%.. they weight a lot more, whereas with a switchmode you get switching noise, which, depending on the quality may or may not be audible.

EDIT : people have been succesfully using SMPS' in effect pedals etc due to their size, and I've seen some amps using them too.. maybe for small speakers they could be ok, but for heavy duty stuff like driving subs I wouldn't put my money on one.

No. Class AB amp shave almost the worst conversion efficiency ~ 50-60% maximum. Also plagued by the problem I have mentioned above^.

Class-D ( high frequency switching ) amps could have efficiency above 85% while very few reaches ~ 95% or more.

Linear (50/60HZ transformer) and poor switching power supplies without PFC are equally bad due their mains current distortion originated from 'peak rectification', which end sometimes as bad as they consumes 5X or 10X of the output power.
For example a 1000W SMPS(without PFC) or toroidal transformer would needs 4.3A average (6.2A peak) from the mains if the power factor would be correct (1.0) but unfortunately - due peak rectification - usually pulls out 50 or 100A peaks with very narrow conducting angle which is bad for the mains, generators and could create dangerous over Voltage spikes on the opposite phases. Learn and understand why good power factor are so important.

As there are thousands of inukes and old toroid amps being driven to with an inch of their lives every weekend why are we not seeing the problems you harp on about in every thread? Seriously if the world is going to end when using one then why has it not ended?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>