Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most memorable bassline...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2018 at 9:50am
Being a mobile/wedding/hotel DJ, my stories probably seem tame compared to all these, but thought I'd share anyway.

I used to have an ASS Spektra system, including the SP9 single 18's.  One particular Christmas Party night the hotel came over and asked if I wouldn't mind turning the bass down a little as it was shaking glasses off the shelves in the bar for the other party in the hotel Smile

(as I said, probably boring compared to most!)
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2018 at 11:21am
some party richie hawtin put on in detroit as an after party to a larger festival. There were 24 cerwin vega horns, which of course don't play too low, but the fact that they were in about 100 sq m room meant that my breathing was regulated by the bass.

A danley bc-415 inches over my head also made for an interesting vocal experience.

best bassline is probably still jamie principle's Your Love
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2018 at 10:16pm
Back when  this was heady stuff 

Edited by 4D - 23 December 2018 at 10:27pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2018 at 11:23pm
not really a bassline but one night in club zillion anwerp the dj stopped a record mid-groove. And then started to let the sl1200 resonate in the lower frequencies while planning the sound as a sort of beat, faster and faster, blinders on both sides on the same beat. The volume almost unbearable ans suddenly the dancefloor dropped 15 cm, including 800 people on it. The crowd Goes wild and the dj starts open your eyes by nalin and kane.

The zillion was the superclubs of superclubs..
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2018 at 11:30pm
Meanwhile, the highlight of my night last night was playing Indeep. Not really the same thing 😕
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2018 at 11:52pm
i feel for you.. was a wedding dj between 1997 and 2006.. sometimes you are lucky, but mostly its always the same playlist which does the trick :).. 
RealitySound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealitySound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

After a whole day of awful low bit mp3 Soca the DJ dropped Michael Jackson Billy Jean off a CD. It was like the whole system came alive and most of Ladbroke Grove were with us after that...! The bassline made it....

.p.

And the image doesn't want to link...sigh

Is this stuff out every year? A few years ago I saw some of those in a shared lockup when I was helping Ebony Showcase take his ASS stuff off a lorry and put it back into storage.
When you gonna send me some $$ mate ?
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 3:01am
Hi... Sadly it's not out any more. I've moved down under and the Terrahorns have moved on...

The final configuration of 6 x V-Dosc and 8 Terras was about as much noise as you could get outta of that much space.. was fun doing it !

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2018 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

i feel for you.. was a wedding dj between 1997 and 2006.. sometimes you are lucky, but mostly its always the same playlist which does the trick :).. 

To be fair, Saturday night was great fun and I played some great music on a nice enough system. Got to practice my mixing some more and the crowd loved me (Although they would have been right not to love some of the mixes!). As you said, 99% of the time it’s the same old stuff that works, but you go to every gig hoping it’s going to be epic. July 2016 was the last epic one!

The difference between my DJ-ing and a big name is I have to work out what the crowd want, whereas people go to hear what the big name is playing. The wedding gigs that are great are the ones where I can get that switch to happen and get the crowd following me, rather than me chasing numbers on the dancefloor. On Saturday, that switch happened during “A Little Respect” by Erasure and after that I could play what I liked and they’d go with me!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2018 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by RealitySound RealitySound wrote:

Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

After a whole day of awful low bit mp3 Soca the DJ dropped Michael Jackson Billy Jean off a CD. It was like the whole system came alive and most of Ladbroke Grove were with us after that...! The bassline made it....

.p.

And the image doesn't want to link...sigh

Is this stuff out every year? A few years ago I saw some of those in a shared lockup when I was helping Ebony Showcase take his ASS stuff off a lorry and put it back into storage.

same cabs, but owned by reggae roast. they have 8, pluss the high bass and tops.
https://www.elements-audio.com
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 3:07pm
I don't get out much, but way back when, when Wattco and Mykey/KidCreole were UK based, my mate Dangerous Dave took to me his secret lair (workshop) and we had a listen to single RCF loaded 18" horn. Something 1850 or looney ish, but more mental.

Sadly, I was very green back then, and have no idea what it was - but my god it made my eye sight fuzzy, and the 2mx2m concrete slab that it was sitting on was visibly moving.

That was fun.

I did engineer a couple of events at the Statford Rex, again, way back when. Tony A.S.S. and Tarzan had been in - 21" horn loaded x 8 a side, 2x15" reflex x 8 a side, and then 2x15+HF x 8 per side. Some dozey sod left the omni-drive at FOH, so when some punter asked for a bit more bass, I parted the audience, as they couldn't breath. That was fun too! All powered of 3 x 42U racks of large Crest, IIRC, and controlled from a 40Ch Soundcraft EuroPa desk (analogue gates per channel, hi and low filters per channel, 4 band parametric, 12Aux, VCA and mute groups and matrix mixer!) One of those desks where, with a finger on fader for Ch1, you can just about reach the master section. And then there was another 16ch the other side...
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2018 at 12:29pm
Don't remember which track it was, but bass was hitting so hard, that one girl who walked past the stacks had to be taken to hospital as she got arrythmia from the subs... This was back in 92 or 93.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>